Boost for Rangers as Clark and Macleod return

ALLY McCOIST has been given a much-needed double boost with the news Lewis Macleod and Nicky Clark could both be fit for Rangers' Championship clash with Livingston tomorrow.

The pair have been big losses for the Light Blues since being crocked in last month's 1-1 draw on Alloa's artificial surface.

But after missing the league games against Falkirk and Hibernian, midfield ace Macleod has recovered from his ankle knock while striker Clark is fit again after injuring his shoulder.

The news has cheered McCoist, who said: "I'm hopeful Lewis and Nicky will be involved at the weekend. We have missed them.

"We have particularly missed Nicky and Kenny Miller up front, so the sooner we get all the boys back the better."

While Clark is in line to return at Livingston, his fellow forward is likely to remain on the sidelines.

Former Scotland star Miller has been out since the 4-2 win over Queen of the South in August.

McCoist said: "Kenny's a little bit further away.

"He had a first-degree tear on his calf, and I'm a bit of an expert on calf injuries myself, so I know he'll be a wee bit longer than the other two."

Rangers will travel to the Energy Assets Arena in need of a win as they look to bounce back from Monday's 3-1 loss to Hibs.

John McGlynn's Livi side have struggled this season and last weekend they were thumped 5-0 by top-of-the-table Hearts.

But McCoist insists the Gers will take nothing for granted tomorrow.

He said: "It will be a tough game. I have a lot of time for Livingston's manager, he's a smashing guy and a great coach who loves the game.

"So John will definitely have them really well organised. They'll see this as an opportunity to get a result with no real pressure on them.

"After three defeats in a row they'll be a wounded animal - as hopefully we will be after a mad 20 minutes against Hibs.

"After a defeat you can't wait to get back on the pitch playing again.

"This gives us an ideal opportunity to do that."

Pressure has piled on McCoist since the Hibs loss that leaves them six points off the title pace.

He came under fire for selecting Steven Smith and Arnold Peralta to start ahead of David Templeton and Fraser Aird.

Both wingers made an impression after being thrown on as substitutes but they couldn't inspire the Gers to a comeback.

Defending his decision, McCoist said: "Temps got a kick in training before the Hibs game. After we spoke to the medics we felt we would probably only get 20 minutes out of him, so that decision was taken out of our hands.

"We also felt that after the previous two games Airdy perhaps needed to be taken out to give himself a breather.

"But we got a terrific reaction from him when he came on against Hibs. Hopefully he can get back into the swing of things for the longer term now."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/boost-for-rangers-as-clark-and-macleod-return-182925n.25482829

"It will be a tough game" yep, it will be, just as Alloa is a "tough place to go, getting a point there might be a good point".

fallen the oh have mighty

A game v a team of traffic cones would be called tough now. Correctly too

"It will be a tough game" yep, it will be, just as Alloa is a "tough place to go, getting a point there might be a good point".

fallen the oh have mighty

A game v a team of traffic cones would be called tough now. Correctly too

If the traffic cones are required to remain static during the 90 minutes, I fancy us to beat them quite comfortably . If they are allowed to be repositioned every couple of minutes, it could be close.

I suppose it's dependent upon the pre-match cone-tract.

I think while the traffic cone quality and mobility can be debated, clearly the playing surface and weather may also play their part. The cones may need to be weighted down with sand if it's windy but they'll probably still be able to outrun Boyd and Daly.

I'm not confident.

And now the Hibs game is being explained away as "a mad 20 minutes"

That is as disrespectful as anything coming from Irvine and Easdale.

To be fair, we did lose the plot for that period before half-time.

However, even IF we concede that, our performance was still poor and we looked totally incapable of breaking Hibs down. We lacked pace, we lacked width, we lacked invention and we lacked any sort of quality whatsoever. Yes, we lost three daft goals but not only was this short-term capitulation suicidal we lacked the ability to come back from it.

Our players and management team need to stop patronising the supporters. We may differ in our opinions and are undoubtedly fickle in our expectations but we know an unacceptable performance when we see one.

To be fair, we did lose the plot for that period before half-time.

However, even IF we concede that, our performance was still poor and we looked totally incapable of breaking Hibs down. We lacked pace, we lacked width, we lacked invention and we lacked any sort of quality whatsoever. Yes, we lost three daft goals but not only was this short-term capitulation suicidal we lacked the ability to come back from it.

Our players and management team need to stop patronising the supporters. We may differ in our opinions and are undoubtedly fickle in our expectations but we know an unacceptable performance when we see one.

Don't disagree with any of that, Frankie, but his words suggest that the other 70 minutes saw a performance which was a vast improvement. From the first whistle to the last, Rangers never looked like winning that match, and if he won't acknowledge that, things will never improve.

I think that it in his own mind he has already chucked it and knows that things will ultimately end badly for him. The only question is when that will be.