Ally McCoist: Rangers promotion through play-offs would be acceptable

Ally McCoist admits he would accept Rangers gaining promotion to the Scottish Premiership via the play-offs after falling six points behind leaders Hearts.

Monday’s 3-1 defeat to Hibernian saw some bookmakers make the Tynecastle outfit favourites to win the Scottish Championship title.

The result sparked fierce criticism of the manager and the players from disgruntled supporters with the Ibrox men head into the match with Livingston with 13 points from seven matches.

But while remaining confident of securing automatic promotion, McCoist admits he would accept reaching the top flight through the knockout route.

He said: "It [winning the play-offs] wouldn't be out of the question because the most important thing is getting out of the division.

"We will take whatever way we can to get out of the division because it is so important to the club that we get back into the top flight as soon as possible.

"I would have thought it was a little bit unfair and disrespectful to the opposition more than anything.

"The one thing we've always attempted to do, particularly in the last three years is show a great level of respect to our opponents. We will continue to do that.

"Hearts and Hibs are good sides."

McCoist has received flack for his tactics, signings as well as his coaching methods in the wake of their latest home loss.

The Light Blues boss says he is not “bombproof” from the sack, regardless of how much it would cost the club to get rid of him.

He said: "I don't think anybody is bombproof.

"I certainly wouldn't sit here for a minute and say I'm bombproof.

"I'm still wearing the flak jacket but nobody is bombproof."

On criticism of his tenure, he defended his record before adding: "I genuinely don't care about it. If Walter Smith can get stick when winning nine in a row and getting to a UEFA Cup final then it's fair to say I'll receive a certain degree of criticism.

"To the greatest respect to everybody the only people that know what goes on out there is my players and my staff.

"You've got two automatic promotions then I think that's the target. I've said all along the target is to get back to the top flight as soon as possible.

"It's not for me to judge or to say how good, bad or indifferent it is but I think it would be difficult to argue against it not being job done in that department.

Video:http://sport.stv.tv/football/294497-ally-mccoist-rangers-promotion-through-play-offs-would-be-acceptable/

"You've got two automatic promotions then I think that's the target. I've said all along the target is to get back to the top flight as soon as possible.

It's not two automatic promotions, it's only one. :facepalm:

Effectively saying he doesn't think we can catch Hearts.... defeatist in the extreme.

Well, to be brutally honest, with him in charge, it is hard, to be honest to see, if I can be brutally honest with you, this as being anything other than realist rather than defeatist