SPFL back Rangers' postponement plea......

...and turn down Cowdenbeath's bid to get league match back on the fixture list.

THE Blue Brazil had argued that the criteria for the postponement had changed - with Rangers missing just TWO players due to international call-ups.

THE SPFL have rejected a final bid by Cowdenbeath to get their postponed Championship clash with Rangers back on.

The match had been scheduled for Saturday because Ibrox players – Marius Zaliukas, Bilel Mohsni and Dean Shiels – have been selected for international duty.

But Cowden say the criteria for the call-off has now changed because of a two-match ban given to Mohsni that would have ruled him out of the weekend game.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-back-rangers-postponement-plea-4387751?

Frankly embarrassing.

Having this game called off IMO sends out the wrong message, not only to the opposition but to our own players.

We call off every game we can regardless of who is out or who we are playing, which is pathetic and cowardly. Not sure what the possible advantage there could be. All I see is an inevitable fixture pile up, you would have thought Ally would have learned from that. He doesn't learn though, and I only hope he's long gone by then.

Can only assume this is an ongoing political/SPFL rule stance by the club. For example, if we get promoted and ask for a game to be cancelled next year it may be refused if we hadn't stuck to the letter of the law in recent seasons for similar international weekends.

Seems petty at first glance but there must be a good reason for it.

We call off every game we can regardless of who is out or who we are playing, which is pathetic and cowardly. Not sure what the possible advantage there could be. All I see is an inevitable fixture pile up, you would have thought Ally would have learned from that. He doesn't learn though, and I only hope he's long gone by then.

I mention this particular game because of the names of those who might be unavailable (IIRC Shiels is 'back-up' for NI squad).

Had it included MacLeod and Wallace aswell, then I could understand it.

With all that has happened to Rangers, and with the damage that it has undoubtedly done, ducking out of fixtures reeks of cowardice and diminishes our reputation even more.

If we had a squad twice as large, I suspect we'd still be opting out of these games.

Can only assume this is an ongoing political/SPFL rule stance by the club. For example, if we get promoted and ask for a game to be cancelled next year it may be refused if we hadn't stuck to the letter of the law in recent seasons for similar international weekends.

Would be interesting to see the wording of the particular clause in the rules.

It had in the past been reported as if it were an option and Rangers had chosen to have games cancelled.

But the media and accuracy don't always go together.

'Must' be a good reason for it?

I'm not so sure.