Need some advice from some folks . Appreciate the nature of a forum is nice and anonymous and none of you really know me so here goes .

Need some guidance.

Work want to promote me but this would involve relocating to probably sheffield.

Got 2 kids a mortgage and a pile of debt I'm already paying off up here in Lanarkshire

Would you relocate your whole family and life for work?

It would bring a pay rise to a level my wife could watch the kids to there at school but fear she may hate being alone down there alone.

I would get into management and at 30 it's certainly the best career step I could take.

But my head hurts. My kids are happy here. My wife very family orientated and would be upset to leave her family behind. Don't know what to do.

Just wondering if relocating for work is something people actually do or its just a pipe dream I should forget about

Sounds like you're both happy enough where you are.

Everybody is different though - we had friends who've just moved to New Zealand so the guy (a joiner) can get more regular work and I know others who have moved for career reasons. Only you and your wife can make the decision and, to be honest, it sounds like you already have via your obvious reluctance.

Perhaps you could use the offer to negotiate a better package in your current location? Knowing the kind of thing you've helped me with, surely your immediate location isn't always that important work-wise anyway?

Need some advice from some folks . Appreciate the nature of a forum is nice and anonymous and none of you really know me so here goes .

Need some guidance.

Work want to promote me but this would involve relocating to probably sheffield.

Got 2 kids a mortgage and a pile of debt I'm already paying off up here in Lanarkshire

Would you relocate your whole family and life for work?

It would bring a pay rise to a level my wife could watch the kids to there at school but fear she may hate being alone down there alone.

I would get into management and at 30 it's certainly the best career step I could take.

But my head hurts. My kids are happy here. My wife very family orientated and would be upset to leave her family behind. Don't know what to do.

Just wondering if relocating for work is something people actually do or its just a pipe dream I should forget about

Break it all down, mate.

Your children are young so they will be happy wherever they go and will adjust in no time, so you can put that to one side.

There are loads of families who move for work, so it's certainly not a pipedream by any means. If it is something that you both think is worth giving a shot, don't hesitate, as it will become more of a concern as your children get older and settle into school. It is also wise, if possible, to make a decision prior to involving family and friends as this can often lead to selfish reasons for them putting you off. One thing to remember - it is as easy to move South as it will be to move back North if it isn't working out.

If your wife is dead set against a move in the first place, dump her and get yourself signed up to Plenty Of Fish! :D

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Can't thank you's enough for the prompt replys guys.

Aye reason I asked on here was exactly as you say rangersitis. I know my friends and family may just try talk me out it . Hence the anonymous reactions from folk in here I hoped would be from an outside view.

Frankie aye your spot on. Lot my current work I can sit on my back side at home for but now they want me overseeing everyone else and being suited and booted in head office and somebody accountable for the group IT services. .so the new role is more managerial than technical and hence they need me to move to head office. (Well one of the divisions head office)

English company own a few colleges down there and a few training providers. Think as team leader I'm as far up that tree I will get without going down south where all our colleges etc are.

If you are ambitious and you seem to be I would take the job and make the move; you may not get the same opportunity again.

As Rangersitis says young children adapt easily and hopefully your wife can make new friends and it isn't that far to travel to see family. You could offer to pay the train fare!

However, I would check the comparative house prices for the same or better property than you are in at present as that could weigh heavily on your finances or lifestyle.

Hope this helps.

Can't thank you's enough for the prompt replys guys.

Aye reason I asked on here was exactly as you say rangersitis. I know my friends and family may just try talk me out it . Hence the anonymous reactions from folk in here I hoped would be from an outside view.

Frankie aye your spot on. Lot my current work I can sit on my back side at home for but now they want me overseeing everyone else and being suited and booted in head office and somebody accountable for the group IT services. .so the new role is more managerial than technical and hence they need me to move to head office. (Well one of the divisions head office)

English company own a few colleges down there and a few training providers. Think as team leader I'm as far up that tree I will get without going down south where all our colleges etc are.

Well, BH and Rangersitis make valid points. If you are going to do it, then before your children start school is certainly the best time.

I'd definitely check out the comparative living costs though. A promotion and wage rise sounds good but may not be worth the extra stress and upheaval in real terms. Is there scope for further progression after the initial promotion? In that case, the benefits may be more long term.

The one problem you get with rejecting the offer is that you'll probably not be considered for future similar opportunities.

Rather you then me and good luck with the decision!

Sheffield ain't that far.

Commute Mon - Fri, buy a property in Sheff and use it as an investment opportunity whilst you pay off both mortgages at once.

It's not a bad way of looking at things.

I'd have thought Sheffield would have a lot of affordable property opportunities given the city's industrial heritage.

Just don't watch 'Threads'.

Sheffield ain't that far.

Commute Mon - Fri, buy a property in Sheff and use it as an investment opportunity whilst you pay off both mortgages at once.

Something that's probably out the question although I like the idea.

To save myself embarrassment let's just say I haven't always had a decent wage and got good few £'s in debt to pay off first. No bank would come near me for a 2nd mortgage till that sorted .

That is under control now although it certainly would have have a big impact in trying to get a 2nd mortgage .

There's no embarrassment in having money issues, especially after emerging from the worst recession since the South Sea Bubble, most folks have been stretched further than they wished to be.

As Frankie said, quite a few of these former northern powerhouse cities have lots of untapped property potential at more than reasonable costs, though I sympathise with your situation where the bank, thanks to the recent bank reg tightening, might frown upon your personal debt levels, though nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Best of luck whatever you do.