I tend to look at things like that and think "what's the worst that could happen?"

If you move and if things don't work out for you in Sheffield, what's the worst that could happen? You come back up the road and get another job with another company, your wife's happy to be back and after a couple of months your kids will have forgotten they were away at all?

If you don't take the chance, and turn it down, what's the worst that could happen?

I don't know if this would figure into your decision or not mate, but it might be a good idea to drive down to Sheffield with your wife for the weekend and have a really good drive around because it might help you both decide.

I moved down to Birmingham for a couple of years when I was in my mid to late twenties and enjoyed the move and change of scenery, plus better wages, but it was also a bit of a culture shock in many ways.

Something worth noting is that heavy traffic congestion getting to and from work is a total nightmare in the big towns and cities down south, so if you did decide to move down I'd recommend taking that into account when looking for an area to stay in.

Another thing that came to mind is that you needn't necessarily buy a house down there straight away. You could easily just rent a house initially until you get on your feet and then when you know the area better, then decide where you'd like to look for a house.

Tough decision, but best of luck if you decide to go for it. :tu:

If the only reason for moving is a step up the professional ladder I'd say bide your time where you're happy and settled and it will come along up here too. If yourself and your wife have never discussed it until now that would suggest to me that it was something neither of you were open to but you'll be best placed to judge that.

If it was the South Coast of England, Devon or Cornwall I'd think twice about it but I've never been a fan of the North of England but again each to their own.

Maybe explain to your employer that you would like to move but family might be an issue. And could they offer you some sort of support to allow you to commute down South during the week, eg make a contribution to your rent & costs. Might give you some flexibility... All depends on your employer I guess.

Appreciate that working away might present a different set of problems, but sounds like you could wangle some remote working to give you a better work and home life balance.

I moved down here to Nottingham 31 years ago with the wife and a 1 year old, it was re-locate or redundancy. There were about 26 of us originally mostly with families, after about 12 months about half had gone back, mainly because the wives missed their families back in Scotland. I think that may be your biggest problem, especially if she is at home during the day, it can get very lonely.

I haven't regretted the decision, but I appreciate the difference between my circumstance [redundancy] and yours.

I moved for work 14 yrs ago. Best move I ever made. My decision was based on "I prefer to say I tried it and it didn't work out than not try it and look back thinking what if"

Kids are adaptable, they will be fine. Let the wife come back north every other weekend to visit family. I send my Mrs back home in winter.... She hates cold weather so her coming to UK in winter means she appreciates Bermuda more !!