DJ: Rangers kid MacLeod deserves Scotland chance

I WAS pleased Scotland boss Gordon Strachan called two promising youngsters up to his squad for the Euro 2016 qualifiers against Georgia and Poland.

Ryan Gauld of Sporting Lisbon and Stevie May of Sheffield Wednesday deserve a chance. But I have to ask why Lewis Macleod of Rangers has not been elevated too?

The 20-year-old might not be ready to play for the national side, but there would be advantages in promoting him to the Scotland set-up. Mixing with experienced professionals would make him a better player, show him the level to reach and make him hungry to be involved in future.

Lewis is playing for Rangers, not Livingston or Raith Rovers, every week, and is coping with the pressure on his shoulders.

I appreciate he is important to Scotland's Under-21 squad. But so were Gauld and May.

Why not give Lewis the chance to show what he is capable of too?

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/rangerscomment/rangers-kid-macleod-deserves-scotland-chance-183991n.25553730

He plays for their B team.

That's what I thought, but was unsure. Have to agree with DJ on this,Lewis is a class player and you could say he is coping with big pressure in front of big crowds,he deserves a chance as well,maybe the next squad?.

Where would he play? On the left, I doubt it. In the middle when he never plays there, doubt that as well.

Perhaps be called up for the experience, but Rangers must start playing him central, he is no longer a wee boy. He should have been playing there from the start of the season, but Ally will not take the decision of dropping/moving Black or Law.

Where would he play? On the left, I doubt it. In the middle when he never plays there, doubt that as well.

Perhaps be called up for the experience, but Rangers must start playing him central, he is no longer a wee boy. He should have been playing there from the start of the season, but Ally will not take the decision of dropping/moving Black or Law.

Very good points. I also think that he may be made out to be better than he is due to not only the opposition, but also the dross which surrounds him. He is a cut above the rest, but as you say, he is not sixteen or seventeen.