Former Celtic boss Neil Lennon has been named as the manager of Championship bottom side Bolton Wanderers.

Lennon, 43, out of work since leaving Celtic in May after four years in charge, succeeds Dougie Freedman, who left the Trotters earlier this month.

Bolton have won only one league game in 11 so far this season.

Neil Lennon's managerial career at Celtic

The Northern Irishman officially takes over at Bolton on Monday, with his first match in charge being Saturday's trip to Birmingham City.

Lennon led Celtic to three league titles and two Scottish Cups and took them to the Champions League last 16.

Victory over Barcelona in the group stage of Europe's elite club competition in November 2012 was Lennon's highest-profile achievement at the Glasgow club.

Johan Mjallby, Lennon's number two in Glasgow, also joins the Trotters as assistant manager with Garry Parker, another who served at Celtic Park, arriving as first-team coach.

Lennon had last month expressed interest in vacant posts at Bolton's Championship rivals Cardiff City and Fulham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29589068

Bolton are bottom of the Championship. Certainty to get relegated now. Him and The big swede won't see out the season. They won't cope with competition as they're used to a one team league or Lunny handing them wee favours.

Wonder if he'll cause a referees strike down there? Dreadful appointment by Bolton

I'm not sure that being Celtic manager suited Lennon. It made him leader of his tribe and was a heavy burden to carry. Being a manager where he is not emotionally involved might be better for him.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

I'm not sure that being Celtic manager suited Lennon. It made him leader of his tribe and was a heavy burden to carry. Being a manager where he is not emotionally involved might be better for him.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Being the leader of the tribe like taking his men into battle against Barcelona or Rangers at the Piggery suited him but when he actually had to do his job and manage like win the title at Ibrox, win away at Inverness, beat Ross County, Hearts, St Mirren all at Hampden he failed, tactically and managerially he failed. He showed nothing during his time at Celtic to suggest he can be a football manager.

I agree with Hildy. Bolton Wanderers are a town club with a decent history. A competent manager ought to do well. Any manager of celtic has an audience that he must play to (tough luck, ronnie) but with no such nonsense at Bolton it will be interesting to see if lennon can hack it. He was good at hacking, right enough.

When I heard he'd become Bolton manager I just laughed.

Remember when he was over the east end hoping for title-stripping because we'd gone into administration/liquidation over what are now known to be fictitious debts once at the laughable figure of £134m and he accused us of financial doping by using players we couldn't afford?

Well now Lennon is manager at a club whose debts are at a staggering £168m last I heard. And how did they get these debts? Paying transfer fees and salaries they couldn't afford maybe? Johan Elmander was a great example. Bought for £8m , paid £45k per week over three years then left on a free transfer. And there were others.

Is Lennon a hypocrite or what?