I think that debate has been done to death. He sure did not buy Newcastle to make them challenge for the EPL title or that many trophies, much to the disgust of the Magpies. One can fully understand that. You have to be very much on the optimistic side to think that even with Ashley's money Newcastle can become a force that is able to challenge the big three or four EPL teams for more than a season. Ashley sure knew that from the beginning. He's there for the sake of Sports Direct. You would reckon that his interest in Rangers is the same, even though the money to be made from us will be significantly less. The one thing Rangers could attract to Sports Direct is a European audience, once he gets us into Europe again. Whether that is his aim is anyone's guess and no-one on here likes to be a puppet on the strings like Newcastle. The problem right now is that this puppet master has the money to pull this through, the money to back the club financially (much like Newcastle), and a current board that has not that many options at its hands.

Are you saying he lied to the Newcastle support when he bought the club ?

Good to see Goughie talking sense. The UoF & SoS won't like this

neither know what on earth they are talking about

absolute horseshit in actual fact.

Is there no way these two businessmen can work together for the benefit or Rangers?

posed as a question

“He has a plan and will invest the cash if he gets the chance.”

he's just had the chance and chose to take the HH share instead of investing in the club.

“Charles Green’s Rangers legacy has been handing over these lucrative contracts to Ashley.

yeah, so how does this benefit the club?

All in all absolutely embarrassing.

One has to wonder, is this Gough running up the white flag on behalf of the King camp? Do they think they are in a battle that they are unlikely to win?

Didn't Gough say at one point words to the effect that King had a plan for every eventuality? Is this one of those plans or is it a new one?

King never struck me as someone who wanted less than overall control and yet now we're hearing words from a leading figure in his camp that King and Ashley could maybe work together.

The sorry saga continues.

One has to wonder, is this Gough running up the white flag on behalf of the King camp? Do they think they are in a battle that they are unlikely to win?

Didn't Gough say at one point words to the effect that King had a plan for every eventuality? Is this one of those plans or is it a new one?

King never struck me as someone who wanted less than overall control and yet now we're hearing words from a leading figure in his camp that King and Ashley could maybe work together.

The sorry saga continues.

I think your first sentence hits the nail on the head. There are too many unknowns & uncertainties about DK for my liking.I'm not convinced he's as wealthy as some make out for starters.

I think your first sentence hits the nail on the head. There are too many unknowns & uncertainties about DK for my liking.I'm not convinced he's as wealthy as some make out for starters.

I think King has the wealth, but perhaps not the wealth to match Ashley.

If Ashley wins the day, remember one thing: every pound he puts in to the club is likely to be a loan. At some point in the future, it will have to be paid back.

I think King has the wealth, but perhaps not the wealth to match Ashley.

If Ashley wins the day, remember one thing: every pound he puts in to the club is likely to be a loan. At some point in the future, it will have to be paid back.

Yep. He could, much like he does with Newcastle, give a hand-picked (sic!) board a 50m loan (interest free at that, as opposed to Desmond's, btw) as working capital. And one day in the future, any potential buyer will have to deal with this loan and any value put on the "company/-ies".

Still, Wallace, King and Co. can still try and intervene, if they act quickly enough. It's been what, 6 days since we have had any whisper from that side though ...

Yep. He could, much like he does with Newcastle, give a hand-picked (sic!) board a 50m loan (interest free at that, as opposed to Desmond's, btw) as working capital. And one day in the future, any potential buyer will have to deal with this loan and any value put on the "company/-ies".

Still, Wallace, King and Co. can still try and intervene, if they act quickly enough. It's been what, 6 days since we have had any whisper from that side though ...

Ashley is having to wait a long time to get his loan money back at Newcastle.

At Rangers, he could go down the same road - pump £50m into the club and wait until he sells it to get it back, but what if he can't sell Rangers for the price he wants plus the loan he put in? He might then sell for a lower price and have the new owner repay the £50m over a set period.

We need to be clear about one thing: the money that Ashley puts in he will want to see back again, which means that short term gain could end up being long term misery.

Ashley is having to wait a long time to get his loan money back at Newcastle.

At Rangers, he could go down the same road - pump £50m into the club and wait until he sells it to get it back, but what if he can't sell Rangers for the price he wants plus the loan he put in? He might then sell for a lower price and have the new owner repay the £50m over a set period.

We need to be clear about one thing: the money that Ashley puts in he will want to see back again, which means that short term gain could end up being long term misery.

I reckon he is getting very good ongoing value from it.

I reckon he is getting very good ongoing value from it.

If Ashley becomes the main man at Rangers, eyes will be closed and ears will be covered to the fact that his financial input will almost certainly be in the form of a loan.

The kind of person who worshipped David Murray will love to see Ashley in charge. The short term will be prioritised over the long term, which of course is nothing new at Rangers.

Further down the road, if Ashley takes charge, another crisis is waiting, and while it won't affect him, it will affect us.