A LIFE-LONG Rangers fan today vowed to restore the grave of legendary manager Bill Struth.

25589352.jpg

The boss was at the club's helm for more than 30 years, from 1920.

Struth died, aged 83, in 1956, and was buried in a Glasgow cemetery, less than a mile from Ibrox.

Today the Evening Times reveals how the grave of the club legend faces ruin and neglect.

The final resting place of the most decorated manager in British football history lies crumbling in a forgotten corner of the cemetery.

Now, Craig Houston, who instigated the supporters' group Sons of Struth, is spearheading a campaign to restore and maintain the legendary Light Blues manager's headstone.

As he stood at Struth's memorial in Craigton, on the South Side of Glasgow, Craig said: "Bill was the most important man in the history of Rangers Football Club.

"I have a phenomenal amount of respect for the man and it really saddens me to see his grave fallen into disrepair.

"He did so much for Rangers, now we want to give something back and repair his grave."

The high regard Struth is held in by Rangers fans is not just because of the success he enjoyed during his 33-year period as manager.

With 73 *trophies to his name, Struth is the most decorated manager in British football history, despite retiring back in 1954.

But his level of standards are the ones Rangers have prided themselves on throughout their 140 years of history.

Since Struth every Rangers manager, from Graeme Souness to Walter Smith, have strived to be at his level.

Craig said: "Bill Struth is a legendary figure at Rangers, that's how we arrived at the name The Sons of Struth for our group.

"I didn't even know where his grave was, but when I went to see it and realised it had fallen into disrepair, I felt really strongly about it.

"I knew something needed to be done."

One-time stonemason Struth helped to carve the future of the Ibrox club in the first half of the last century.

He was known as a strict disciplinarian, and the high standards Struth demanded helped to ensure Rangers became the most successful league club in Scotland and the world.

Craig now wants the ideals Struth instilled in those around him to live on -especially at his grave.

He said: "It is a privilege to be given permission from the Struth family to carry out repairs.

"I want to make Struth's grave somewhere all Rangers fans can go to visit.

"I want them to feel the emotion I did, standing at his grave."

To donate to the fund, visit http://www.facebook.com/SonsOfStruth

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/fan-begins-bid-to-restore-grave-of-rangers-legend-184328n.25551395