Rangers boss Ally McCoist has warned Richard Foster he will be fighting a losing battle if he mouths off at his own fans again.

The full-back was singled out for some heavy stick from sections of the Light Blues support as their side comfortably beat East Fife 2-0 to claim a Petrofac Training Cup semi-final slot.

But the frustrated former Aberdeen defender let rip with his own four-letter expletive in reply during a break in play midway through the second half.

That sparked another angry outburst from the away support at New Bay View, leaving McCoist to tell Foster there will only be one winner if he continues to take on the fans.

He said: "You will never win that battle with the fans, but the irony is not lost on me that when they get a bit of stick back the toys come right out the pram.

"Coming from someone who has had more than his fair share of stick from football fans when I played, I can tell you that you will never win that war.

"These things happen. I didn't see the incident but I will have a wee word if it is needed - although I wouldn't have thought so.''

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/439/9528333/-

McCoists fault, obviously, these duds should be nowhere near a Rangers jersey. He's putting them in a position to be criticised because they can't do the very basics Rangers fans expect from their players. Same with Mohsni and Law who have both also had issues with fans.

I did notice the crowd getting angry at Foster late in the game for some reason but didn't realise it was this.

I think the retention of Foster is actually quite symptomatic of the football operation at the club. An experienced former player of average talent whose work rate gets him in the team over and above any genuine quality - either defensively or attack wise. We'd have been much better advised developing a young player for the role rather than wasting what will be a few thousands pounds a week on mediocrity.

He said: "You will never win that battle with the fans, but the irony is not lost on me that when they get a bit of stick back the toys come right out the pram.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/439/9528333/-

Not the wisest thing to say when you state yourself that it's an argument you can never win.

Edited by buster.

McCoist is certainly winning the argument with his vocal detractors, so perhaps his players feel bulletproof too?

McCoist has never won any argument with "vocal detractors".

He simply carries on regardless and has always tended to patronise supporters by pressing the right buttons at the right time. Not the only person in football to do so.

It's unusual to see him say something like the "toys out of the pram" and tbh I welcome it, in that at least he is being up front and honest for a change.