1c4526a508900682d99f89e72c77ce33_XL.jpg

DARREN McGREGOR has revealed he’s on course for an automatic contract extension after a solid start to his Rangers career.

The defender signed a one-year deal with the club in the summer having left St Mirren at the end of his deal there.

Ally McCoist had been a huge admirer of the stopper for some time but he was given only 12 months at Ibrox initially because of his injury history.

McGregor suffered two cruciate knee ligament injuries during his four-year stay in Paisley but was fit enough to play 38 times for the Buddies last term.

When he switched to the Light Blues, he had it written into his terms that he’d earn a second campaign with the club if he was fit enough for at least half of the games in 2014/15.

Given he has been both available and involved in all of the 15 fixtures Gers have had to date, the 29-year-old is on track at this stage.

McGregor said: “I think what a lot of people don’t know is I’ll get an extension if I’m available for 50 per cent of the first season.

“Just because of the injuries I’ve had, the club has wanted me to be available that often but that’s not necessarily to say I have to play in them.

“There is something in place whereby if I’m available, I’ll be here for a second year. Fingers crossed that happens because you can’t complain at working at Murray Park every day.

“On the face on it, I just wanted to come in, do well and give the gaffer some food for thought.

“To have been involved in every game so far, I’m pinching myself. I’m taking every day and every week as it comes though.

“I don’t get too high or too low because it can change in an instant. I just need to focus on motoring on.

“Getting a contract with Rangers was great but the hard work just started there. I have to keep showing what I’m all about and try to improve the squad.

“Hopefully I’m helping the younger guys out and I’ll continue trying to do that as long as I’m here.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/7904-on-course-for-deal-extension

All their wages will increase next season. Imagining the likes of Black, Law, Daly and Templeton earning even more off us makes me sad and so so angry.

McGregor this season will earn more from one year at Rangers than he has in his entire career previously. Frightening stuff.

All their wages will increase next season. Imagining the likes of Black, Law, Daly and Templeton earning even more off us makes me sad and so so angry.

McGregor this season will earn more from one year at Rangers than he has in his entire career previously. Frightening stuff.

I suppose out of those you mention McGregor is offering the most for his bucks.

Isn't Daly out of contract at the end of the season or is it a case of even greater despair ?

Some of our players probably deserve criticism over the course, Darren McGregor certainly doesn't.

...but as usual SC finds time to sit on his PC and have a go...

........makes me sad and so so angry.

Makes me sad and so so angry.

SC go take a break and give us all one mate.

Some of our players probably deserve criticism over the course, Darren McGregor certainly doesn't.

Nice editing. Do you work for a tabloid?

I suppose out of those you mention McGregor is offering the most for his bucks.

Isn't Daly out of contract at the end of the season or is it a case of even greater despair ?

Maybe FS though i still don't believe he will be good enough to be part of any title winning squad in the only league that matters. His wage is also well above his ability level just like everyone else at the club.

Lots are out of contract mate but i think we have a guy in charge who will want to keep just about every one of them and add even more on too. Especially someone like Daly who has been there and done it apparently at that level.

After only 100 odd posts. :roflmao: Who even are you?

No doubt with an increase in his current £6k per week remuneration!

Here was me thinking that the club were cutting back on excessive player wages, although I don't know exactly when McGregor or his agent negotiated that figure and agreed to join Rangers.

If you think about the situation, you are nearing 30 with a history of serious knee injuries and approaching the end of your contract.

You are a run of the mill centre back at SPFL1 level, decent but not eye-catching good that English clubs have ever lined up in a queue to sign you, in fact you were still with Cowdenbeath in the third tier when you were 24.

I can understand Rangers wanting a 'top tier centre half' to play in the second tier from which they want immediate promotion, fine.

But why pay him 6K p/wk ?

At St.Mirren he'd have been on how much ?

I'd guess somewhere between 1K and 2K p/wk.

Just say we'd offered 3,500, who would have offered more ?

As for the way his contract is structured regards a second year kicking in after a certain number of games that he is available to play in. We could have the situation where his second year has kicked in and he gets another serious injury towards the end of the season.

Now, it's probably this way because McGregor wants a resolution prior to January, so he has a better idea if he needs to look for another club, understandable but it seems all the concessions came from Rangers when they should have been holding the good cards.

Of course there is another issue about him being played as right-back but another day.