As unsavoury as it is and as offensive as it is... it was very clearly a joke.

For someone to have their career threatened over it is PC gone mad.

Can we not get back to banter where this type of stuff would generally be written off as "nice one".

I do understand that this cuts to the quick of those genuinely impacted by the events that fateful day - but all too many jump on the perennially offended banfwagon and want people hung, drawn and quartered for something which was originally intended as light hearted humour.

A while back I might have agreed, but no longer. Now I think that is the sort of attitude that has resulted in being us being humiliated and scorned time and time again and why we get nowhere when we do complain.

Screw the rise above it guff, get into our detractors hell for leather. They certainly would not be slow to shaft one of ours.

I have posted before about my old man's insistence that we left every game five minutes before the final whistle. As a young teenager, I was dragged down Stairway 13 two to three minutes before the disastrous events unfolded. We returned to deepest, darkest Lanarkshire to be met by my mother at the end of our driveway. I remember that night, each bulletin delivered even graver news on death and injury, I remember the newspaper photograph of hundreds of shoes on the stairway, and I remember a fellow school pupil, Ian Hunter, one of 66 men, women, and children who expired. One village in Fife, Markinch lost five boys, four from the same street.

The Dundee United fan that broadcast his vile thoughts, Grant Bell should be compelled to visit Markinch and meet the relatives of those boys. The Lord Advocat, Frank Mullolland declared anyone broadcasting sick references in the wake of the Clutha Disaster, would feel the full extent of the law; should ensure this sick Arab pays full respect.

As unsavoury as it is and as offensive as it is... it was very clearly a joke.

For someone to have their career threatened over it is PC gone mad.

Can we not get back to banter where this type of stuff would generally be written off as "nice one".

I do understand that this cuts to the quick of those genuinely impacted by the events that fateful day - but all too many jump on the perennially offended banfwagon and want people hung, drawn and quartered for something which was originally intended as light hearted humour.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/crime/police-investigate-ibrox-disaster-twitter-4536050

Police investigate Ibrox disaster Twitter troll who allegedly posted a sick tweet mocking victims of accident which claimed 66 lives

Oct 30, 2014 13:55

By James Moncur

DUNDEE United fan Grant Bell said Ibrox was mostly empty during Tuesday’s League Cup match with St Johnstone because fans “had great difficulty using the stairs again.”

POLICE are investigating claims a football fan allegedly posted a sick tweet mocking victims of the Ibrox disaster which claimed 66 lives.

A message in the name of Dundee United fan Grant Bell said Ibrox was mostly empty during Tuesday’s League Cup match with St Johnstone because fans “had great difficulty using the stairs again.”

Alongside it was a newspaper splash reporting the 1971 disaster in which 66 fans died and 200 were injured in a crush on a stairway as supporters tried to leave the stadium.

Dozens of calls were made to the Michelin Tyre’s factory in Dundee where the alleged troll works as an apprentice, calling for him to be axed.

Donald Mackenzie, personnel manager at Michelin, said the firm had launched an investigation into the staff member’s alleged conduct but declined to say whether the employee had been suspended.

He said: “Michelin is aware of the posts that have allegedly been made on social media by an employee. We are still receiving calls, I’d estimate the number so far being 50-plus.

“We are taking the matter very seriously and a management investigation has been launched.”

Disgusted fans took to social media to vent their fury.

John Beaton said on Facebook:”What a moron, I was on the stairs, I was only 17, I was so lucky to survive, I will never forget that day, it is not a subject to joke about EVER! NEVER FORGET THEM!

While Gary Boag added: “Shocked at this guys comments !! Could not believe he posted that ! He deserves what he gets ! I would hard to lose anybody close to me , never mind any clown mocking it!! SAD!”

The anger has spread to other parts of the UK, with groups in Liverpool reporting the tweet to the police.

John McGivern, secretary of the Hillsborough Ibrox Memorial Group, said: “I am disgusted by the tweet mocking the 66 people who lost their lives at the Ibrox stadium disaster, including eight-year-old Nigel Pickup from Liverpool. I have contacted Merseyside Police over this and reported it as a hate crime.”

A spokesman for Police Scotland said the issue was being investigated.

The Twitter and Facebook accounts have since been deleted.

The bottom line is: while we may feel that impinging on this guy's personal life is going too far,he quite consciously decided to impinge on the unending agony of fellow football fans who went to game and never returned. Are we not all football fans? What a shit he is! Imagine if a family member went to game & never returned...then add, to that agony, the jibes of other people. Good God Almighty, what level of cretinism must one aspire to, to come up with this kind of thing.

It's sick, it' s shit, & it's what the Communication Bill was designed to stop. Anything & everything he gets, he has brought upon himself. Truly, a disgusting individual.

Of course turning the other cheek or sticks and stones is probably the preferred method when dealing with such petty name-calling but at the end of the day Rangers and its support have been vilified for over ten years now for similar behaviour so its only fair other clubs and fans are dealt with in the same way.

Yes, two wrongs don't make a right in terms of flawed, PC legislation but there's also no excuse for such offensive comments and all of society should be above them - whether in public or private.