His learned friend Lord Nimmo Smith may have declared otherwise. But to Donald Findlay the Rangers which visits Cowdenbeath on Tuesday is not the same Rangers he once served.

'It is a different club,' he tells Sportsmail bluntly. 'They may play at Ibrox and they may play sometimes in royal blue jerseys.

'But you cannot pass on that which is undefinable. And that is spirit and tradition and all the rest of it.

'To me this is a new Rangers which has to establish its own history and tradition.

But it's not the Rangers I know. To me, genuinely, it is a new entity.'

Read more:*http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2816759/Donald-Findlay-says-Rangers-new-entity-establish-s-history-tradition.html#ixzz3HrRNaAeg*

Follow us:*@MailOnline on Twitter*|*DailyMail on Facebook

If Graham Spiers had written that, we'd have been justifiably furious. No-one would have suggested that he was talking about the company instead of the club.

It's easy to take quotes in the media literally, but it's not so easy to get their true meaning and I think that's what we're seeing here.

It's easy to take quotes in the media literally, but it's not so easy to get their true meaning and I think that's what we're seeing here.

He even says 'genuinely' when he says that he believes us to be a new entity.

If I was to say something inexcusably distasteful about him and precede it with 'genuinely', I'm sure he'd be convinced he had a case against me if he wanted to sue me.

If there is anything in that piece that he is uncomfortable with, he can ask for an apology and retraction.

Somehow, I have a feeling that this won't happen.

That rhat McGowan must have sat with a full on hardon listening to auld Don.

I simply cannot understand why any 'rangers man' (or woman) could sit down and give an interview like that with a yahoo like McGowan who has never hidden his utter hatred of us.

You have failed to understand quite a bit of what was going on in connection to Rangers, so it comes as no surprise that you wouldn't feel any affinity with the thoughts of someone 'old school' like Findlay. Probably a generational thing, so it may be an unfair criticism.

I've got plenty of respect for our traditions, more than a lot of fans that are older than me.

But from everything i've gathered Findlay never actually did that much for Rangers albeit the way he was set up was very low.

He says it's not the Rangers he knows, I agree, unfortunately it's not the Rangers I know either, with the amount of chancers who have no feeling for the Club or fans at all, who have been up the marble stairs in the past few years. But it's still the same Club, certainly not a new one.

That's my view, and I believe Findlay's view as well, I think that's what he was saying.

Still, it was incredibly naïve of him to think making comments like that wouldn't be spun into what has happened, incredibly naïve.