Coisty: I'll keep Rangers star Lewis grounded after Scots cap call

ALLY McCoist today vowed to try and keep Lewis Macleod's feet on the ground after the young Rangers midfielder was called up by Scotland.

McCoist was delighted Macleod was yesterday named in the 27-man national squad for the games against the Republic of Ireland and England.

But he stressed the talented 20-year-old had "a long way to go in his career" and has to keep working hard in order to realise his potential. McCoist said: "It's brilliant for Lewis, great for him. I'd a chat with him and I'd spoken to Gordon on Monday. We are delighted and we all have high hopes for him without getting carried away.

"We are genuinely pleased to see him get his first international call-up.

"Can he make an impact in the squad straight away? I don't know. The Scottish boys have been doing well so that will be up to Gordon."

Macleod, who helped Rangers beat Cowdenbeath 3-0 in a rearranged SPFL Championship match at Central Park, has been called up by Scotland despite playing out of position.

But his manager believes the Murray Park youth graduate has benefited from playing wide on the left of midfield for the Ibrox club in the last two-and-a-half seasons.

He said: "We don't have any doubt that his position will be central, but it's not doing him any harm learning his trade.

"Longer term, he will be a central midfielder. But Lewis is realising it's about the team, not the individual.

"Lewis was quieter against Cowdenbeath and that didn't surprise us as he has a long way to go in what will be a long and successful career."

McCoist believes the win over Cowdenbeath, which cut Hearts' lead at the top of the second-tier table to four points, shows they are very much in the hunt for the title.

And he has urged his players not to allow their attention to wander to the massive League Cup semi-final with Old Firm rivals Celtic in February.

He said: "We didn't start very well, which is a contradiction as we scored a great goal. Our general play could have been better.

"The second goal helped. Later on, we were fairly good. We grew into the game.

"Cowdenbeath were very good, especially in the early part of the game. This is a difficult venue at any time, let alone a Tuesday night.

"But getting the goals and the clean sheet was pleasing. We have to focus on the massive games of football before the Old Firm game.

"We had to win to let the other teams in the Championship know and we certainly sent out a message that we are in the hunt."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/coisty-ill-keep-rangers-star-lewis-grounded-after-scots-cap-call-187313n.25781990

ALLY McCoist today vowed to try and keep Lewis Macleod's feet on the ground after the young Rangers midfielder was called up by Scotland.

Oh I bet you will Ally - right back maybe? Dropped? :facepalm:

Edited by Anchorman

"Lewis was quieter against Cowdenbeath and that didn't surprise us as he has a long way to go in what will be a long and successful career."

I thought Lewis would have been full of confidence and played a blinder last night after his call up, Ally is absolutely right here, his reaction does tell you he has a long way to go