Madjid Bougherra eyes last hurrah with Glasgow Rangers

Algeria and Fujairah captain would love to finish his career at Ibrox.

Fujairah: Algeria and Fujairah captain Madjid Bougherra says he dreams of playing one more game for former club Glasgow Rangers before he retires.

The 32-year-old defender is currently languishing in the lower half of the UAE’s Arabian Gulf League with Fujairah, having joined from Qatar’s Al Lekhwiya in the summer. But he says he dreams of returning to Scotland’s Rangers, with whom he won five titles in four years before they sold him in 2011, when the club went into liquidation.

Rangers were forced to re-enter Scottish football in the fourth division, but they have since secured back-to-back promotions and are currently first in the second tier with a return to the top flight seemingly imminent.

“I was really upset when they went down because they didn’t deserve it,” the former fans’ favourite told Gulf News. “But I’m really not afraid for them now.

“They have beautiful fans who will follow them everywhere. I’m confident they will get back in the Scottish Premier League (SPL) and be back in the Uefa Champions League very soon.”

Of his dream of signing off his career at Ibrox, Bougherra, who played for Rangers between 2008 and 2011, winning three league titles and the Scottish Cup and League Cup, added: “To finish my career there would be unbelievable.

“Rangers is a huge part of my career, this club gave me the opportunity to play at the highest level and enabled me to show my talent to the world.

“My target is to finish my career there, just one more game would be enough for me, but if I can help them with my experience for a season, or even half a season, and finish my career at Ibrox, it would be a dream. We will see if it’s possible, from today I am still in good touch with them.”

http://gulfnews.com/sport/football/madjid-bougherra-eyes-last-hurrah-with-glasgow-rangers-1.1409573?