I don't think our fans are idiots but it is disappointing how easily some are prepared to overlook being disrespected, misled or patronised.

Is that the case though? Anywhere* I go or read about Ashley's investment (loans or otherwise) I see the same scepticism and hesitation - me included. Sure, people are a bit more optimistic now that we have someone in the background who would be there if cash runs out (something we did not have for 3 years), but no-one's actually lauding his arrival - everyone knows about Newcastle. In contrast, if you speak about Ashley in not too gloomy terms though, you are greated with cynical or disrespectful stuff left right and centre. That constant antagonization amongst the support, that "either you are for us or you are against us (and thus an idiot)" is utterly contra-productive to any unified stand of the support towards the board, and has been for years.

*That said, I can only speak of the media, Gersnet, FF and our German board, though I doubt that VB or DTB are full of glowing supporters of Mike?

Is that the case though? Anywhere* I go or read about Ashley's investment (loans or otherwise) I see the same scepticism and hesitation - me included. Sure, people are a bit more optimistic now that we have someone in the background who would be there if cash runs out (something we did not have for 3 years), but no-one's actually lauding his arrival - everyone knows about Newcastle. In contrast, if you speak about Ashley in not too gloomy terms though, you are greated with cynical or disrespectful stuff left right and centre. That constant antagonization amongst the support, that "either you are for us or you are against us (and thus an idiot)" is utterly contra-productive to any unified stand of the support towards the board, and has been for years.

*That said, I can only speak of the media, Gersnet, FF and our German board, though I doubt that VB or DTB are full of glowing supporters of Mike?

Yes there are people everywhere who are prepared to overlook the more negative parts Ashley's background just because he's loaned us a few million.

I don't know whether or not the guy will be good for Rangers or whether or not his net worth would save us from any possible insolvency event. It's because I don't know the answer to those questions (and others) that I, unlike you, cannot welcome him to the club or be optimistic about his involvement.

I agree some people polarise such issues in a counter-productive fashion but that just lends weight to the point that some fans may struggle to analyse the situation well; either deliberately just to antagonise others or maybe just because they don't care. Either way, they're part of the problem, not the solution.

Hence, I'd rather focus on the issues as much as is possible.

Yes there are people everywhere who are prepared to overlook the more negative parts Ashley's background just because he's loaned us a few million.

I don't know whether or not the guy will be good for Rangers or whether or not his net worth would save us from any possible insolvency event. It's because I don't know the answer to those questions (and others) that I, unlike you, cannot welcome him to the club or be optimistic about his involvement.

I agree some people polarise such issues in a counter-productive fashion but that just lends weight to the point that some fans may struggle to analyse the situation well; either deliberately just to antagonise others or maybe just because they don't care. Either way, they're part of the problem, not the solution.

There is a simple order of play that many would see as reasonable.

1. Meaningful Transparency and Reasonable Questions fully answered.

2. Degree of Trust and Engagement

3. React to Events (not spin), if positive then things get better, trust increases etc.

Step one requires meaningful engagement, not spin based on the size of a bank account.

At Rangers, we start to judge people after they have turned up, which is too late if it turns out that we don't like them. We can't judge people beforehand because we often don't know who potential buyers for the club are going to be - or even if it is up for sale - and an owner's plans for the club can be kept secret indefinitely because custodians are under no obligation to go public with them.

Unfortunately, some of our fans have a slavish devotion to the club which they mistakenly believe is loyalty. They accept the word from within Ibrox as though it was written on tablets of stone. This effectively means that anyone who succeeds in buying the club is given an automatic infallibility. What the club says - every utterance - is correct: always. Anyone questioning or doubting the club is disloyal and not a 'real' Rangers fan.

What we have then is a dream scenario for any buyer. A generous degree of loyalty is awarded to him just for turning up. He bought the club therefore he must be good news, and if that buyer is someone like Mike Ashley, who is noted for being excessively rich and very successful, he is welcomed with open arms and closed minds.

Fortunately, a growing number of fans realise that the general wellbeing of the club cannot be left to chance. They are prepared to look hard at detail and be constructively critical.

Regrettably, their numbers, though greater than ever before, are not quite enough to tip the club into revolution, and that's what Rangers needs now.

He will see the contracts are watertight, making sure he gets the most lucrative.

Cut back expenditure so the accounts look reasonable, then ask 'Who wants to invest in Rangers.'

That would be an improvement on the current situation in my view. Not saying much for them I know.

To keep us ticking along so he can keep his onerous contracts in place. He's not giving up Newcastle for us imo. I'm getting the feeling plugs are going to be pulled, nothing specific just a gut feeling, If I had the money i would be in there looking to give Ashley an exit strategy.

to me his plan is simple flog Newcastle take on the rangers role as owner flog as much merchandise make as much as he can then flog it to some other owner that business that's how he is so rich

It might sound simple compo, but there must be good reasons why Ashley hasn't been able to flog Newcastle.

There's no doubt multiple reasons, but he was previously (in 2009) asking for £100m for the Club and couldn't sell it.

I don't know the current debt level, but as of February this year Newcastle owed Ashley almost £130 million quid in loans.

Then there's the Newcastle retail, marketing and advertising deals which are probably long-term and in Ashley and Sports Direct's favour.

Newcastle is probably stitched up like a kipper with onerous contracts and that's exactly why he hasn't been able to sell it, even if he genuinely wanted to.

• 3 weeks later...

"It has been mentioned on RC tonite that there are rumours that cashly has had enuf and may walk away from Rangers as there may not be any money to make due to fans boycott"

Copied this from another forum.

This rumour allied to the rumour that Ashley and King may be talking? Could be something in Ashley wanting an exit.