Martinez linked with move for MacLeod

Everton are mentioned along with Burnley as being interested in signing Rangers midfielder Lewis MacLeod, claim the Mail.

The 20 year-old recently earned his first senior cap for Scotland and the report claims that Roberto Martinez could lodge a bid in January.

Toffee Web

... or maybe Ashley's other club

Newcastle linked with Lewis MacLeod transfer

News in the Scotland media that Newcastle United are now taking an interest in Lewis MacLeod.

The likes of Villa and Burnley have already had the twenty year old midfielder watched by scouts.

The Rangers star man received his first full international call up last week and sat on the bench as Scotland were defeated by England.

With eight goals already this season, MacLeod is vital to Rangers’ hopes this season and with the defeat to Hearts meaning the Glasgow club are now nine points behind their Edinburgh rivals for automatic promotion (play-off for those finishing second to fourth). It is obviously vital Rangers keep their best players to try and make that instant return to the top division.

Obviously any concrete interest by Newcastle United would have the extra element of Mike Ashley’s involvement.

With ever increasing commercial involvement at the Glasgow club and the Newcastle owner having now loaned Rangers £3m (so far) to keep them going this season, any transfer(s) between the two clubs will be eyed with extra interest.

The loans already made are said to only be enough to keep Rangers afloat moving into December, so clearly they have to get extra finance from somewhere.

If MacLeod is of the right quality then Newcastle buying him with an instant loan back to Rangers would make sense.

However, many Newcastle fans would wonder about the size of any transfer fee and whether the amount of cash would match his talent.

The obvious speculation for many being that this would be an ideal way for Rangers to generate cash without Mike Ashley having to loan further funds in the short-term.

The Mag

Yes - I know what you're saying, but my point was that we don't really have 3 really good players.

2 or 3 that are maybe 'slightly better' than the rest of the dross we have, but that's nothing to shout about.

Agreed, other than Macleod and Wallace, who else would generate a transfer fee? I think that Blackpool tried to get Law for about 50k a transfer window or two ago; McGregor has been quite impressive since signing, particularly at CB, so possibly him; Bell is unlikely to attract any interest until he is fully fit again and as far the rest, most are out of contract at the end of the season so wouldn't generate any transfer fee anyway. However, if you sold Wallace and Macleod in January, you are basically guaranteeing that we will not get automatic promotion and even the play-offs becomes increasingly difficult. If the only way in which to make money as a club is to get into Europe, then promotion this season is non-negotiable and for that Macleod and Wallace are indispensable. (Wallace has been a shadow of himself this season, but hopefully he can get back to the standards that he is capable of sooner rather than later.) The board can always sell Macleod and Wallace at the end of the season if need be if we don't get promotion, but to sell them in Jan, would be Ally's get out of jail free card.

And even McLeod he is not progesssing too well. His touch, control and distribution has gone to bits recently.

The lad was completely anonymous on Saturday.

Yes, I think he has some talent, but I am yet to be completely convinced that Lewis McLeod really has what it takes to go big in the game.

The 'potential' bit does my head in. He's not a child - he's 20 and should be more prominent in games than he has been. Look at the lad Roberston at Hull. Same age, yet far further forward than McLeod.

Yes, he is beng played out of position and yes he does not have proper coaches to help develop him, but the lad must take on some of the responsibility himself.

Are we going to do our usual and still be saying the lad has 'potential' and he's 'still young' when he's 24/25 ?

The lad is nowhere near ready for first team EPL football. He's doing 'qute well' in the second tier of Scottish football. He'd struggle to get a game with any EPL side in reality.

I'm not bashig the lad - i just think we need to take a dose of reality as to where he stands right now. Yes, he is a bit better than the rest of our players - but that's no big thing in real terms. Definitely needs far more consistency to his game.

As for Lee Wallace - very average and his performance levels have dropped significantly over the past 12 months. We wouldn't get much for him in all honesty.