Rangers ace Lewis Macleod could be heading out of Ibrox as English clubs plot £2m January swoop for youngster

SPECULATION mounted yesterday that Rangers could use any transfer windfall from the sale of Lewis Macleod to pay off under-fire manager Ally McCoist.

LEWIS Macleod's agent last night revealed clubs are plotting a £2million swoop for the Rangers star next month.

And that’s more bad news for Ally McCoist as fans will be speculating whether the club will use that cash to pay off the under-fire Ibrox boss.

Playmaker Macleod pulled a hamstring in the calamitous midweek defeat to Alloa in the Petrofac Training Cup.

But that hasn’t scared off the 20-year-old’s suitors and he is set to return as the January transfer window opens. Agent Paul Martin said: “There has been interest in Lewis from more than one team but that’s all I’d say on the matter.”

Macleod is believed to be on the radar of Newcastle and Aston Villa – and if he is sold it will be a blow for McCoist.

Fans called for his head after Gers threw away a 2-0 lead in the last 18 minutes at Alloa but the cash-strapped club don’t have enough money to pay their manager off.

There was talk of punters staging a protest against McCoist during yesterday’s 1-0 win over Cowdenbeath.

That failed to materialise but many voted with their feet as just 28,137 turned up – the lowest for a league game at Ibrox for almost 30 years.

When asked about the rumoured protest, McCoist said: I didn’t know anything about that.

“One of the boys said after the game there had been some chat. I don’t go on forums.”

But McCoist admitted playing in front of a fed-up crowd wasn’t easy.

He said: “It’s not an easy place to play when things aren’t going well. I’d rather there was 50,000 every week.”

DR

Rumours such as these are very much expected, whether we'd get that "much" given our state of affairs (and not the value of talent of Lewis) is another matter. 5 to 10% sell-on clause is a must in any future deal. At the end of the day, it remains to be seen whether Lewis accepts any deal on the table, should it come to that.

Snatched from FF

In the sun down here this morning:

"Burnley star Danny Ings is a shock target for Mike Ashley - but as a marquee signing for Rangers. England Under-21 striker Ings is going to be among the hottest properties on the market when his contract runs out at the end of the season".

Seemingly Ashley is going to pay him £40k a week to join us should we win promotion to the SPL. We have an advantage over English clubs as a move outside the country would see Burnley pick up a small training compensation fee. He could then stay in the SPL for a season or two and then bag Ashley a nice transfer fee back to the EPL, or a cheap sale to Newcastle.

Good old Mike Ashley, I told you he would come good ... :flute:

23981A0C00000578-2856753-image-136_1417479239727.jpg

Yes, I smiled too.

Edited by der Berliner

He will have to beat Celtic to his signature and that isn't going to happen. They done it with Ledley and Matthews and will do it again with Ings. We don't have the money,will, brains or ambition to compete with them.

even if we got him I'm pretty sure Sir Alistair of Moist could make him look like a c**t in no time... Oh the irony if Ally's only product of the youth team delivered the bullet via his transfer fee.. ouch..

He will have to beat Celtic to his signature and that isn't going to happen. They done it with Ledley and Matthews and will do it again with Ings. We don't have the money,will, brains or ambition to compete with them.
We may not have the money, will or ambition but even two competing fleas could unite and out smart them.

The next 8 weeks are going to be absolute torture for nonsense transfer rumours.

The spin doctors will fill our fans heads with bullshit about Ashley war chests and Newcastle loan deals.