Rangers boss McCoist's delight over name game

ALLY McCoist is pleased for Rangers fans that Mike Ashley has given up the naming rights to Ibrox.

The Gers this week announced that major shareholder Ashley had agreed to turn down the chance to rename the stadium.

Supporters were vehemently opposed to the move and had staged protests outside the Sports Direct stores owned by the billionaire.

He said: "I can understand people trying to rename stadiums for financial purposes.

"But I think to the vast majority of supporters it will still remain Ibrox no matter what you put in front of it.

"It would remain what it has been for years and all through the generations.

"From the Rangers point of view you could call it whatever you wanted but it would still be Ibrox.

"I'm just glad we won't get the opportunity to find that out.

"Any good news is welcomed by the Rangers supporters and I think the majority see it that way. I'm delighted for them."

McCoist received some good news himself yesterday when he discovered that Lewis Macleod would be available for the SPFL Championship match with Alloa today.

Macleod has been training with the Scotland squad this week - but the 20-year-old midfielder was not needed for the Euro 2016 qualifier with the Republic of Ireland last night.

And the Gers manager is hopeful that being away with the national squad will have given the youngster a massive lift ahead of the league game.

He said: "Lewis has trained with us and is in our squad.

"I had a chat with Gordon Strachan. Thankfully, he's in agreement that we would like him to get a game at the weekend.

"I think he has a chance of being in our squad! It's safe to say that he is in the Scotland squad for a reason, and the reason is that he has been doing well.

"We are delighted that he is back in the squad for the Alloa game because we want all our best players available. On current form Lewis is certainly one of them.

"I would imagine he would join back up with the Scotland squad after the game. He's loved it. I spoke to him and he has thoroughly enjoyed it. Gordon said he's done just fine which is encouraging but not surprising."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/rangers-boss-mccoists-delight-over-name-game-188737n.25877768