Craig Whyte is a 'wee b******': Walter Smith blasts the former Ibrox owner...

...and says manager Ally McCoist is being 'hung out to dry' by the board.

THE former boss gave a withering assessment of the men at the top of the marble staircase and claimed they’ve hung McCoist out to dry.

WALTER Smith last night accused the Rangers board of making Ally McCoist the worst prepared manager in their history.

The former boss gave a withering assessment of the men at the top of the marble staircase and claimed they’ve hung McCoist out to dry.

Smith spoke out in strong support of McCoist in Glasgow in front of an audience of 750 at a question and answer session during a charity dinner.

The ex-chairman accused the current regime of failing to back the boss and said boardroom instability is also hampering the team.

Asked to reflect on the work of McCoist, who was at the event, Smith said: “Ally will need a little help – in the last three years he has had none whatsoever.

“I was fortunate enough to be given great support by the likes of David Murray with the signings I was allowed to make.

“People are casting aspersions on Ally’s ability but if I ever had doubts about him I would never have recommended him for the job.

“No club can be successful until it is well run from the top, it’s the single determining factor in how well the team plays.

“I wish Ally could be given that opportunity but it isn’t being afforded him. Ally is bearing up well under the worst circumstances under which any Rangers manager has had to work.”

Smith also turned on former owner Craig Whyte when asked if he was still happy with his decision to step away from the club three years ago.

He said sarcastically: “I was quite happy to leave Rangers in the hands of Craig Whyte – well, he was a billionaire, after all.

“Where is he now? Costa Rica or somewhere? The wee b******.”

Meanwhile, Dave King claims Sandy Easdale was as concerned with his seat on the board as investment in the cash-strapped club.

Easdale has labelled the South African-based tycoon’s plan to invest £16million a phantom bid driven by self-promotion.

The bus boss and Rangers board snubbed King’s offer and a £3m loan from Brian Kennedy, instead taking a £2m bailout from Mike Ashley.

Now King has hit back and said: “When I spoke to Sandy on my recent trip to Scotland his main concern was whether, after investment by our consortium, he would still be involved with the club.

“I confirmed we had no immediate intention to remove him or his brother from board involvement. This was clearly not enough to gain his support.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/craig-whyte-wee-b-walter-4665444

Even now Smith doesn't seem to realise he was spending money we didn't have, another who will hear nothing said against Murray.

“I was fortunate enough to be given great support by the likes of David Murray with the signings I was allowed to make".

Smith is having a laugh. hes passed on all he knows to Ally and the end product is there for all to see.

Walter i would have sacked you in the ninties, sacked you for trying to win a Uefa cup final on penalties and sacked you after kuanus. We couldnt have picked a worse manager to mentor mccoist.

I'd prefer he used his influence to give the board hell at every opportunity. Walter slamming the board on a regular basis would heap untold pressure on them.

Defending Ally in this instance only questions his motives toward the board.

Even now Smith doesn't seem to realise he was spending money we didn't have, another who will hear nothing said against Murray.

“I was fortunate enough to be given great support by the likes of David Murray with the signings I was allowed to make".

When be left the first time we had 20 million in the bank. The second time debt was 14 million and falling.

Reality has passed over the likes of walter and ally and co. Living in a little bubble.. all respect long gone for me..

Comes down to the bottomline and loyalties, money can cloud reallity, or at least it's public face.