Last nights result is the most humiliating in our clubs history?

It's a difficult thing to quantify.

The 1-4 defeat to Unirea at Ibrox was arguably a bigger humiliation and on a much bigger stage as well.

The loss to Dan Petrescu's Unirea was indeed a humiliation; their journalists were out their seats at the first goal, by the fourth they were on another planet.

Their stadium was not regarded as fit for European games and the away match was played in the Steaua Bucharest stadium, though the description of it as a stadium will doubtless bring a wry smile to the faces of those who were there and worse memories of the police and terrible scenes inside the ground, where we at least managed a draw.

In 2010, the team's owner withdrew financial support and Urziceni was forced to sell most of its players to pay debts, leading to relegation at the end of the 2010–11 season.

In 2010, Unirea Urziceni started to decline. Dumitru Bucşaru sold almost the entire team during the first half of the championship, in the account of a debit to the Steaua owner Gigi Becali. In the second half of the season, Unirea loaned players from Steaua II Bucureşti and Dinamo II Bucureşti, but failed to maintain their place in the Liga I, finishing the season on 17th place. Even if Unirea can spare from the relegation, the club didn't solicit license and was dissolved in 2011.

In the summer of 2011, owner Dumitru Bucşaru did not file for a licence for the club to play in the Liga II, and decided not to enroll the team in any championship. Unirea Urziceni was subsequently dissolved

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Unirea_Urziceni

Remind you of anything?

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Good recruitment work still ongoing, I see, in post #20:-)

The team that lost to Berwick might well have been the finest Rangers side I've ever seen. I started going in 65/6 but don't really recall anything other than Ibrox itself until later. We were one of the best teams in Europe at the time, desperately unlucky not to win the CWC that year and challenging closely against - to be honest - another one. I can't recall that combination ever happening again.

Staying up all night playing cards didn't help but it was what it was - a freak. A 1-0 cup giant killing shock the likes of which have happened in the English cup for over a century now. Last night was a different sort of humiliation. there's nowhere near as big a gap between the teams (who are from the same division) but then there was a 2-0 lead with 26 minutes left...and there's the fact that we haven't beaten Alloa in three games. If we'd played Berwick 10 times in a row, we'd have won the other nine and sometimes by cricket scores.

Edited by SteveC

I don't think it is. Everyone knows we're terrible so I don't think it's that humiliating, it's expected. Particularly a tournament nobody cares about. I was half glad we went out, don't want to see another 90 minutes of us looking shambolic in a part-time tournament.

CL qualifier exits like Viktoria Zizkov and Kaunas were far more humiliating.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Like Frankie says it is hard to quantify but at least in those circumstances we were playing against full time professionals who weren't suffering badly through illness / injuries and had players turning up late whilst two of them headed off for a night shift after dumping us out the cup.

I've witnessed some deplorable nights in Europe but never been as disheartened as I have after last night.

Edit: Meant to quote Ser Barristan Selmy there.

Edited by PRW

I don't think it is. Everyone knows we're terrible so I don't think it's that humiliating, it's expected. Particularly a tournament nobody cares about. I was half glad we went out, don't want to see another 90 minutes of us looking shambolic in a part-time tournament.

CL qualifier exits like Viktoria Zizkov and Kaunas were far more humiliating.

The team selection - preferring Dailly to Hemdani (sic) in CMF and performance (switching off with a precarious away goal advantage) in Kaunas were inexplicable, made worse by the winner being scored by one Linas Pilibaitis who couldn't get a game for Hearts, the wettest weather this side of Livorno and Lithuanian Airlines losing my bag. A pretty dismal night all round.

Right now the only thing you can be sure of is that tomorrow the sun will rise, the Rangers' support will still be looking for winners.

But, what is the future without hope ... ?

...and McCoist will still be absolutely shite at football management.