Players In / out

It depends on what 'journalist' you believe. Some say the 'war-chest' includes wages. Given that, one 4 million pound player on �£20K per week would take around �£10M to cover. Others say that the 'war-chest' is for transfer fees alone. Don't know what to believe TBH but think we'll see another 2 or 3 players before the season starts (right back, left midfield/attack and forward).

However, if we manage to offload Novo, Ricksen, Malcolm, Fan Fan, Bernard etc I would expect them to be replaced.

Cammy F

So give the whole squad the chance to earn its stripes under PLG, even including the likes of Bernard and Fanfan. We don't have the money to do otherwise.

I really hope Bernard gets shown the door, he's the 1 player I want to see go more than anyone else.

Hopefully PLG thinks the same as me.

I really hope Bernard gets shown the door, he's the 1 player I want to see go more than anyone else.

Hopefully PLG thinks the same as me.

Ditto, 20k a week for a position both Smith and Murray play better in.... no thanks Olly.

Am I the only one who wasn't impressed by Murray last season? Started off OK then went down hill drastically. He seemed unfit, out of position all the time, offerd nothing going forward and didn't settle in any position....

Cammy F

Am I the only one who wasn't impressed by Murray last season? Started off OK then went down hill drastically. He seemed unfit, out of position all the time, offerd nothing going forward and didn't settle in any position....

Cammy F

I thought he did well for us and was pretty solid last season and was puzzled as to why Eck all of a sudden dropped him. :confused:

It depends on what 'journalist' you believe. Some say the 'war-chest' includes wages. Given that, one 4 million pound player on �£20K per week would take around �£10M to cover. Others say that the 'war-chest' is for transfer fees alone. Don't know what to believe TBH but think we'll see another 2 or 3 players before the season starts (right back, left midfield/attack and forward).

However, if we manage to offload Novo, Ricksen, Malcolm, Fan Fan, Bernard etc I would expect them to be replaced.

Cammy F

I know Cammy - so much rumour surrounding what the war chest includes and doesn't include. You would think that a major piece of the JJB deal would be ear-marked for PLG and then there is the CL money - I am not saying we have 20 or 30 million but you would think that there is 10-15 mill to spend and PLG should be able to use it for fees as well as wages.

Not sure how you get your 10 mill to cover a 4 mill player at 20k per week though (unless he is on a 6 year contract ;) ). A 4 mill player on 20k per week for a 4 year contract is just over 8 mill, so if we had 15 mill we could get 2 such players.

Given you say you would like to see a RB, LM and STR and assuming PLG thinks the same then we should be able to cover all 3 with 10-15 mill - Clement looks most likely at LM and for just 1 mill, Elmander looks most likely up front (if that will be his position) for 2.5 mill. So to cover those 2 positions fees look like they will only be 3.5 mill which leaves plenty left over even after wages.

Of the players you mention leaving Ricksen, Fan Fan and Bernard get paid a hefty amount of money so I would like to think we can replace them with equal or better quality and it won't impact the wages budget. Novo and Malcolm I would imagine aren't on a huge amount but they should be able to be replaced as well as they are no more than squad players.

I guess I am, in essence, agreeing with you Cammy !

I agree Cammy, he didnt play great alot of the time, but id still rather him than Bernard.

The problem with Murray, much like Zurab, is that they're versatile players and eck used that so much that no player was able to settle and call a position his own.

I dont know how much he will play this year, may just be a back up player.

Im lying in wait to see PLG's first teamsheet. :cool:

I thought Murray had an excellent start, but then AM started dicking around with his position. I saw him play well at LB (and he was good at getting forward and linking with PL as I remember) and then as a holding midfielder, but then I think he was one of the guys dropped for no good reason and was then just used to cover for injuries and stuff in most other positions. He was another guy who gave his all whenever he played, but AM didn't make it easy for him.

Can't quite see where he's going to fit in and I think he'll always be a squad player.

Might be worth it if we could put up a current squad list with their positions, in this thread or a new one, we can have a look and see who we think should stay etc. I'd forgotten about Fan Fan and Bernard, that's more wages back in the pot. Hopefully....

Murray is a good squad player to have. He can cover LB, RB and Centre-half.

Smith has been impressive at LB and Hutton can be a very good Rb if he can be more consistent.

So Murray basically can cover both those positions adequately

Bernard is a waste of a wage - he can only play LB and shouldn't get a sniff ahead of Smith IMO which makes him a wasted (LARGE) wage.

I thought Murray had an excellent start, but then AM started dicking around with his position. I saw him play well at LB (and he was good at getting forward and linking with PL as I remember) and then as a holding midfielder, but then I think he was one of the guys dropped for no good reason and was then just used to cover for injuries and stuff in most other positions. He was another guy who gave his all whenever he played, but AM didn't make it easy for him.

Can't quite see where he's going to fit in and I think he'll always be a squad player.

Might be worth it if we could put up a current squad list with their positions, in this thread or a new one, we can have a look and see who we think should stay etc. I'd forgotten about Fan Fan and Bernard, that's more wages back in the pot. Hopefully....

I seem to remember him getting ripped at full back every time we played Hibs. They obviously targeted him as a weakness (along with Hutton) and in the 2-1 defeat at Easter Road, they continually knocked the ball over and in behind our very narrow fullbacks.

When playing left back he (and Hutton) both appear to go to narrow leaving big gaps down the flanks. This meant that our wide midfield players were getting dragged back negating their attacking threat.

He was bought as a utility player and was used by Hibs as a 'sweeper' and as an attacking left midfield player. IIRC he was Hibs top or joint top scorer one year......

If I'm honest, I wouldm't be disappointed in he was released and replaced by a better, younger option. Again tho, I wouldn't be to disappointed if PLG kept him as a squad player.

Cammy F