Ex-Rangers star Jamie Ness opens up on being Ibrox 'rebel'...

...and why dad's cancer battle forced him to quit club.

THE Stoke City midfielder is currently out on loan at Crewe and opens up about his departure from Rangers and his dad's battle with cancer for the first time.

CHAOS and carnage at work. Tension and trauma at home.

All of that, as well as having to make the biggest decision of his life.

That was the predicament Jamie Ness found himself in three years ago at Rangers. A talented midfielder who hadn’t reached his 21st birthday. With a dilemma which could affect the rest of his career.

In the end, Ness chose security over loyalty. And who could blame him?

Rangers fans still haven’t forgiven him for deserting the club in its hour of need in favour of a move to Stoke City.

He refused to join Charles Green’s new regime following the club’s administration and subsequent liquidation.

Along with the likes of Steven Naismith, Allan McGregor and Steven Whittaker, Ness bailed out – uncertain if Rangers would even have a league to play in.

He has kept his counsel since leaving Glasgow. Well aware of the strength of feeling that still exists from supporters towards the Rangers ‘rebels’, Ness has stayed quiet. Until now.

For the first time, the Scot has revealed why he felt he HAD to quit Ibrox – and spoken about the abuse suffered by girlfriend Heather as a consequence.

What people don’t know is that, aside from the anguish he was suffering at Murray Park, Ness was also dealing with a crisis at home.

His father Graeme was diagnosed with cancer at the same time, which turned the youngster’s world upside down. Thankfully his dad has now made a full recovery but Ness admits it was the toughest period of his life so far.

In a perfect world, he would have stayed at the club he supported as a boy.

But in reality, a move to the English Premier League – and job security – was too much to turn down.

In his first major interview since leaving Rangers, Ness told MailSport: “It was a crazy time. No other club will go through what Rangers did at the time.

“I couldn’t get my head around it. I still can’t. It was such a massive decision and I was only 20 when Rangers went into administration.

“It all happened so quickly and I didn’t really have a chance to think about all the factors. For me, it was just about security. At one point there was talk about Rangers not being allowed into any league, never mind the old Third Division.

“And it was a difficult period for my family because my dad had also been diagnosed with cancer.

“So everything was a mess. In my mind, the most important thing was to look after my family and give them security.

“Transferring my contract over to Rangers was something I couldn’t risk. Who knows what may have happened?

“It was too big a gamble not to accept Stoke’s offer. We’ve been very lucky because my dad has been given the all-clear now.

“My parents were great, they never pushed me. They were always there if I needed advice. But for my own peace of mind, I needed security. Especially after the injury problems I’d had at Rangers.

“A top English club were in for me so it was a huge decision. I’d have loved to stay at Rangers for a long time if the administration hadn’t happened. But that’s football and life. Things change so quickly.”

In the aftermath of his defection, Rangers fans reacted with fury.

Team-mate Whittaker was in tears at a press conference as he tried to explain exactly why he left for Norwich City, alongside Naismith who was Everton-bound.

Ness knew what was coming his way but tried to keep his head down.

He treasures his family’s privacy but confessed partner Heather couldn’t escape vile abuse from internet trolls.

And despite everything that has happened, the 23-year-old HASN’T ruled out pulling on a light blue shirt again.

He said: “Naisy and Whitts got hammered after it. So I was wary of the backlash. We could have said anything and still got pelters.

“At that time everything was still raw and emotions were running high.

“After leaving, I was worried about the impact it might have on me and my family.

“Now I realise there will always be people who judge me without actually knowing me.

“It’s water off a duck’s back now. I didn’t have a Twitter page so the criticism wasn’t too bad for me. But I felt for Heather because she took a lot of abuse on social media.

“That was hard for her because she’d never experienced anything like that before.

“We were down in England so we were out of the way. But I knew all sorts of stuff was going on up the road.

“Everyone was so emotional around that time. I know the fans absolutely love that club, it’s their life.

“When that’s happening to Rangers they’re always going to look for someone to blame and lash out.

“But I would never rule out playing for Rangers again. It will be difficult for any of the players who left to go back. However, I wouldn’t rule it out. Right now, I just want to get back playing for Stoke. I want to be a Premier League footballer and showcase my talent in the best league in the world.”

Ness is now on loan at Crewe and will return to Stoke in January aiming to impress gaffer Mark Hughes.

Since bursting on to the scene at Rangers in 2011 – and scoring a wonder goal against Celtic – he has been plagued by injuries.

But having grown up at his boyhood club, he’ll never forget how it felt to fulfil a dream at such a young age.

Ness said: “That period when I broke into the Rangers team was just a whirlwind. I was training with the first-team but not getting a sniff. There was talk that I’d be going on loan to Clyde.

“Then I made my debut in an Old Firm league game. I remember walking out at Ibrox and the atmosphere was just incredible.

“It’s something I will never forget. I grew up as a Rangers fan and I’d been at the club from the age of 14.

“I know how much the club means to the people who support Rangers.

“That’s why it was amazing to actually play and score in an Old Firm game.

“My goal was in the first two minutes against Celtic. And to this day, that’s the best feeling I’ve had, along with my daughter Molly being born.

“When I went into the Rangers team, I was fearless. I knew if I did what I was capable of, I’d be good enough to stay in the side.

“But I picked up an injury and it derailed me a bit. It knocked my confidence as well.

“That’s what it’s about now. Getting back to being the player I know I can be.

“It’s all starting to click into place again and I don’t think it’ll be too long before I’m putting in the kind of performances I know I’m capable of.

“It has been hard to watch what’s happened to Rangers since I left. You sit down here just hoping that someone will take control and sort things out.

“I just hope one day that it all gets sorted out but it’s difficult to see that happening at the moment.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-rangers-star-jamie-ness-opens-4807812

he really should have stayed for his own development.

Playing for a side like Crewe will aid his development a hell of a lot more than a team which plays hoofball as a default option. It remains to be seen if his early promise is fulfilled enough to give him a career at a decent level.

seems now with your own words we as fans understood perfectly what happened.

You left without a thought for anything else other than taking care of yourself. We the people who had paid for your development deserved not one iota of risk on your part. What was the worst case scenario that could have befell you by staying?

traitor

ˈtreɪtə/Submit

noun

a person who betrays someone or something, such as a friend, cause, or principle.

"he was a traitor to his own class"

synonyms: betrayer, back-stabber, double-crosser, double-dealer, renegade, Judas, quisling, fifth columnist, viper; More

You will never play for Rangers again.

Playing for a side like Crewe will aid his development a hell of a lot more than a team which plays hoofball as a default option. It remains to be seen if his early promise is fulfilled enough to give him a career at a decent level.

yeah but he would have maybe 100 games under his belt now.

seems now with your own words we as fans understood perfectly what happened.

You left without a thought for anything else other than taking care of yourself. We the people who had paid for your development deserved not one iota of risk on your part. What was the worst case scenario that could have befell you by staying?

traitor

ˈtreɪtə/Submit

noun

a person who betrays someone or something, such as a friend, cause, or principle.

"he was a traitor to his own class"

synonyms: betrayer, back-stabber, double-crosser, double-dealer, renegade, Judas, quisling, fifth columnist, viper; More

You will never play for Rangers again.

you could have been part of greens rangers

It is/was the same Rangers before green and it is the same rangers after ,never has it been a negative to pull on that strip. One man does not define the club or justify turning your back to line your own pocket through nothing more than dislike for a character.

As has been said Ad nauseam no excuse for not signing over then asking for a transfer. If Green had said no which there is no basis to believe then boo hoo you would have been left playing for Rangers poor baby.