I am going to post this here for now as I want to get the largest group. I have had adverts coming up on the site for a while now. I learned today how to get rid of them. On the task bar on the top of the page is a button for add ons. Open it up and check extensions and plug-ins if there is a exe that you are not familiar with then delete it. I had something like super shopper. There is also a add-on called Ad-Blokker and I installed that and I am now advert free. One thing is you have to sign in again so make sure you know your password.

In ad blocker on firefox there should be 2 icons in top right corner if you click on the left 1 it will remember your settings for this site, and you won't need to keep signing in

Thanks for the added info. I did it ad-hoc.

Some further info for anyone looking in:

The most commonly used Ad blocker for Firefox is an Add-on/extension called Adblock Plus and it's very good, although it does completely stop the functionality of certain types of websites from working properly which basically forces you to 'whitelist' sites you visit which stop working for you due to Adblock Plus.

Personally, I haven't used Adblock Plus for close to a couple of years because I found Ghostery which I think for most purposes works better. It's not a pop-up blocker, but it's excellent at blocking adverts, trackers, beacons and all sorts of unwanted crap.

On a side note, has anyone else experienced any problems or issues caused by the recent Firefox and Flash updates? They seem to have completely bombed certain functionality on some sites. It'll almost certainly be the Flash update, since Flash updates have a habit of being bollocks.

Flash is dead and is being replaced by html5. Typical adobe buggy and bloated piece of software.

Firefox as well. Used be an awesome browser and sadly now another buggy bloated browser. Add ons certainly beat thing about Firefox .

Frankie correct been about 4 flash updates in last couple of weeks and I did note a security update so probably worthwhile upgrading. From an IT perspective flash is a pain in the tits

I was prompted by Firefox to update Flash on Friday night and then when I went to upload the images of the GPL results and standings tables to imgur on Sunday the Flash update had completely screwed imgur's image upload functionality. I immediately installed Chrome just to check if it worked in another browser and it worked straight away.

Had a play with firefox at work whilst I was bored on a conference call. It would seem indeed adverts are a pain. That's a real shame, Mozilla used to pride themselves on free open source software :(

Obviously somebody making a dime somewhere, as there is ads showing that isn't coming from websites, but the browser itself, which is pretty disappointing.