Sadly, most won't care. Rangers is a pale shadow of the club it once was, and not only because of the calamitous actions of Whyte et al. It will be seen as yet another giruy moment by fans who care more about what "my Celtic mates" think than what Rangers means to them.

Here's the article for those not willing to wreck their eyes ...

Rangers: Rino Gattuso in frame to succeed McCoist

RINO Gattuso and Steve Clarke have been identified by Rangers as potential successors to Ally McCoist as the Ibrox club attempt to resolve the future of their current manager this week.

While McCoist awaits a meeting with members of the Rangers board of directors on Wednesday, where their response to his dramatic resignation offer of last week will be outlined, Clarke and Gattuso have emerged as two of the leading candidates to replace him.

Former Scotland defender Clarke, who has been out of football since being sacked as West Bromwich Albion manager 12 months ago, is regarded as one of the brightest coaches in British football in light of his work at Newcastle United, Chelsea, West Ham and Liverpool.

The 51-year-old, who was strongly linked with the Celtic vacancy last summer before Ronny Deila was appointed by the Scottish champions, is keen for another shot at frontline management.

The Scotsman understands that Clarke’s name is among those which have been under discussion by Rangers directors in anticipation of McCoist’s departure.

Italian World Cup winner Gattuso, who spent a season at Rangers at the start of his playing career back in 1997-98, is also believed to under consideration.

The 36-year-old is currently in charge of Greek top flight outfit OFI Crete, ironically despite tendering his resignation, which was refused, two months ago. Gattuso was previously dismissed from stints in charge of Swiss club Sion and Palermo in his homeland.

Married to a Scot, Gattuso retains strong links with Glasgow and has previously stated his ambition to return to Rangers in some capacity one day.

While a trio of other ex-Rangers players – Terry Butcher, Stuart McCall and Billy Davies – head the betting market to replace McCoist, the Ibrox board must settle the current manager’s position first of all.

McCoist tendered his offer to resign last Thursday, the news becoming public the following day before Rangers lost 2-0 at Queen of the South to remain nine points behind Hearts in the SPFL Championship title race.

After the game, the waters were muddied when McCoist insisted he still hoped to remain Rangers manager for the rest of the season and beyond. A 12-month rolling contract means the club face a bill of more than £1 million to pay off McCoist and his assistants Kenny McDowall and Ian Durrant.

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley, who is now in control of Rangers’ financial destiny through his lieutenant on the plc board, Derek Llambias, must decide whether McCoist’s departure can be funded.

Despite the £3m credit facility they received from Ashley earlier this season, Rangers are still in serious trouble as attendances slump at Ibrox amid increasing discontent among supporters over the current boardroom regime.

Ahead of the club’s agm next Monday, where approval will be sought for a fresh £8m share issue, it has emerged Llambias has acknowledged the serious problems faced in trying to get the fans back onside.

“We need to re-establish credibility with the fans which is going to be very difficult,” Llambias is reported to have told the most recent meeting of the club’s recently formed Fans Board.

“What is obvious is that we need cash to stay in the club and not go elsewhere. We are cutting back as much as we can and put it on to the park

“We’ve cut as much as we can. Our strategy is that we’re not affecting the playing area. We’ll be looking to review pricing of matchday and season tickets to ensure we’re as competitive as we can be. Pricing and value are two key areas that we’re focusing on.”

Scotsman

Gattuso: I want to manage Rangers when Ally McCoist leaves Ibrox

Gannaro Gattuso has admitted he wants to be the next manager of Rangers after the Ibrox club finally confirmed Ally McCoist is working a 12-month notice period.

The Italian World Cup winner spent a short spell in Glasgow in the late 1990s as a teenager before moving on to Salernitana then AC Milan.

The 36-year-old revealed: ‘My wife is from Glasgow but the main reason to want to go there is because Rangers is a big team with big stories.

‘Believe me, the priority would not be my family. It would be the job and the chance to work for a big club which is in my heart. There are many reasons, not just my family.’

Currently in charge of OFI Crete, Gattuso claims he tried to quit the Greek side in October because he felt his players didn’t believe in him but changed his mind 24 hours later after talks with fans. The Heraklion-based side currently lies a lowly 15th in the Super League after a 2-0 defeat at Panionios on Sunday.

‘Two years ago I started as a manager at Sion and now I am carrying on my time in football in Heraklion,’ he continued.

‘My situation at Crete is not simple. I wanted to leave but the fans would not let me go and that is okay.

‘I only played for a year and a half at Rangers but it was a big pleasure to do that so, of course, I would be interested in the job there.’

Gattuso is thought to be one of a few options the Ibrox board is considering.

McCoist tendered his resignation on Thursday, although the news was leaked just a few hours before a 2-0 defeat to Queen of the South on Friday night.

After three days of silence in Govan, the club confirmed the move in a statement to the London Stock Exchange on Monday morning.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2875191/Gennaro-Gattuso-want-manage-Rangers-Ally-McCoist-leaves-Ibrox.html#ixzz3M2tsF3qE

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Rino would be a dreadful appointment. A huge no from me.

There's no chance of it being him. Though he probably has the right pedigree as he was sacked very quickly twice, then tried to resign a couple of months into his third job and is 1 point above the relegation zone.

We'll probably end up with Big Lee as manager.

Better Adkins than Gattuso, right enough, but that's his second sacking in not a lot of time.

I didn't like Pulis at Stoke and I didn't like Stoke when he was there but he's what we need to create a competent team