I'm 42 I remember him as a poacher. A bit like Boyd. Great goal scorer for us in Scotland. Struggled at a higher level. He became a better player when he turned 30.

Worked far harder than Boyd IMHO. A better finisher too. Personally I wouldn't compare them. But I understand why some do.

Worked far harder than Boyd IMHO. A better finisher too. Personally I wouldn't compare them. But I understand why some do.

He was a better player than Boyd. Work rate was miles better than Boyd, types of goals they scored was similar.

You could argue that the great Jimmy Millar and the lethal Ralphie Brand had even better back-up than McCoist. If I had played in front of Baxter and McMillan and between Henderson and Wilson I might have scored a few.

Jim Forrest said a cardboard cutout of a centre forward would have a good scoring record playing in the team he did.

comparing him to Boyd like that is like saying Ian Rush was the same sort of player as Robert Earnshaw. As a goal scorer, McCoist was in an entirely different league from Boyd. And to dismiss him as just a poacher is to ignore the amount of work he did and his overall quality as a player.

comparing him to Boyd like that is like saying Ian Rush was the same sort of player as Robert Earnshaw. As a goal scorer, McCoist was in an entirely different league from Boyd. And to dismiss him as just a poacher is to ignore the amount of work he did and his overall quality as a player.

I didn't dismiss him, just gave my memory of him. His work rate wasn't great until later in his career. He was criticized by lots of fans for work rate. The type of goals he scored is similar to Boyd/any poacher you wish to name. As a player he wasn't great. Hateley, Mols, De Boer, all better players. He did struggle at higher level ( champions league )

My memories of him are also of being our top tim slayer, record goal scorer, prolific trophy winner, a huge playing asset for over a decade, an excellent ambassador for our club, a true blue & if he had left us in his prime I would've been gutted.

Alec Smith, manager of Aberdeen, our closest competitors at the time used to say that Rangers defended from the front in that as soon as the ball was lost, McCoist and Johnston would track back to try to recover it.

de Boer was a better footballer but McCoist was a better centre forward. Boyd at his best is third rate.

Alec Smith, manager of Aberdeen, our closest competitors at the time used to say that Rangers defended from the front in that as soon as the ball was lost, McCoist and Johnston would track back to try to recover it.

de Boer was a better footballer but McCoist was a better centre forward. Boyd at his best is third rate.

De Boer wasn't a centre forward.