Was there ever any real interest from teams bigger than Rangers? He had one good season in European football but i don't recall him running riot against top quality opposition. My old mans pal used to always say he was a poor footballer who needed too many chances to stick one away.

As a kid, i thought he was magic, i just seen his goals and thought he was great,. He was my hero.

Believe it or not, at his height, we were at our height too and were considered one of Europe's biggest Clubs. Remember, when McCoist was here we were attracting England internationals including their skipper, as well as England's best talent of his generation in Gascoigne as well as players of the ilk of Laudrup.

As GS says, there were very few bigger clubs than us back then. Yes, we all know that we were an abject failure in Europe on most occasions but that doesn't mean that we weren't often fancied to go pretty far with the squad we had. Some of that failure was also due to us not being tested on a weekly basis at home.

We were bigger than pretty much every team in the UK for a while and certainly at the forefront of European football too.

Watch some of his goals, absolute class. Your Dad may be right in that he needed a lot of chances but guess what.... there were very few players of his generation who instinctively knew where to be and when to be there - that alone made him a class striker, notwithstanding some of the goals he managed to score.

Also, as GS says, McCoist really did hide the fact that he was a more than decent footballer - he could comfortably play in midfield too.

needed too many chances to stick one away.

I always felt that was one of his strongest attributes. He always got himself into positions where he got chances & attempts.

There are many strikers out there who only get a fraction of the chances or goals the McCoist did, yet are still highly regarded.

He scored some range of goals. Free kicks, overhead kicks, headers, drives, finesse shots, tap ins, inside the box, outside the box. So many crucial and good goals.

Exactly - his range of goals was superb.

Will never forget his reaction when he scored that overhead kick in the Cup Final against Hibs after his broken leg lay off. Anyone that doubts his passion for our club only needs look at that goal, and his reaction, to see what it meant to him.

Where we rebuffing interest and offers annually Frankie?

Haha - you'd have to dig out the Record and Sun from that time but I'd be surprised if there weren't various offers. I should have clarified my post in saying it was my opinion he didn't move because of the above.

Given the opinions of some on the motivations of Ally, perhaps he'd have moved away if he'd been a bit younger when the Bosman ruling came in... :whistle:

Then as now players had a way of letting it be known whether they wanted a move or were settled where they were

Wallace and MacLeod have both made it clear they want to stay here yet we know there have been bids and interest in them. Alan Hutton confessed his love of Rangers and said he was going nowhere, didn't stop Spurs offering £9m for him. Whether he wanted to stay or not played no part in whether a team would bid for him or not. I remember him being brilliant but i don't remember even one offer being made for him.

Haha - you'd have to dig out the Record and Sun from that time but I'd be surprised if there weren't various offers. I should have clarified my post in saying it was my opinion he didn't move because of the above.

Given the opinions of some on the motivations of Ally, perhaps he'd have moved away if he'd been a bit younger when the Bosman ruling came in... :whistle:

Or if there was indeed any offers with big bucks! :D:drink: