a revived Rangers, capable of playing in the Champions League once more, would be a vehicle for brand advertising on a European scale.

I hear this repeated time & time again.

How?

The money needed to qualify for the CL proper is huge.

The money needed to escape from a group is colossal.

Anything further than that is off the scale.

The money needed to bring the stadium into compliance with UEFA is rising every month.

Non-CL approved sponsors are not allowed to display logos during CL games.

Even if all the above were, in an ideal world, to happen, Rangers would still be a footnote in 99% of countries CL coverage, maybe 30 secs of highlights if lucky.

And all this is going to drive the SD brand to unheard of heights? I just don't see it.

Edited by andy steel

How?

The money needed to bring the stadium into compliance with UEFA is rising every month.

Even if all the above were, in an ideal world, to happen, Rangers would still be a footnote in 99% of countries CL coverage, maybe 30 secs of highlights if lucky.

And all this is going to drive the SD brand to unheard of heights? I just don't see it.

It's about controlling retail Andy, you must have seen some of that in your previous life. When supermarkets sell Nescafe at below cost they are doing it because it brings in thousands of customers who then buy other things with significantly higher margins. That's how Sports Direct operate, get all the Rangers branded clothing exclusive to their shops and watch the quarter of a million people emotionally connected to Rangers walk through the door or click onto the website.

Ashley couldn't care less if we win the Champion's League, it's of no consequence and the article is PR bullshit from start to finish. He's learned at Newcastle that supporters will continue to buy merchandise no matter how dire the team are doing, and whilst in the shop they'll pick up a Lonsdale t-shirt and a dozen golf balls too.

P

A look at Ashley's history shows someone who buys poorly performing brands like Slazenger, Dunlop and Lonsdale, cuts all costs from them, repackages them and sells them exclusively in Sports Direct. Rangers currently fall into this market, we're a once widely recognised and successful sports brand currently failing. Even simple arithmetic shows why we're attractive to him, selling only 100,000 strips at £50 a go brings in £5 million, if you already own the retail costs associated then the economies of scale are massive, if you own or control the club you control the remuneration they receive too, you're basically only paying for manufacturing the rest goes onto the bottom line. Funding us for a couple of years isn't much of a gamble for him if he can gain control of us and our brand.

Aye but. How does he get 100,000 fans to buy strips if he has not invested in the club first, got us into Champions League etc.? The way I see it very few will purchase without seeing improvement on the playing side first. He would have to speculate to accumulate, but will he? Has he at Newsacatle?

I have no interest in Rangers becoming Sports Direct Rangers. The question for many will be to either stick with the club and hope for change in the future, or to pack it in and let the allegiance fade.

I've been amazed how many times people have told me that they have had enough, that the club is dead and that they won't be back - and I believe them.

If Ashely was to get this over the line and we became Sports Direct Rangers it wouldn't be changing in the forseeable.

My principles wouldn't let me go near a cockney corporate vehicle shaped by dishonest scheming from a line-up of rogues. Nevermind the soulless mediocrity that would follow.

Edited by buster.

P

Aye but. How does he get 100,000 fans to buy strips if he has not invested in the club first, got us into Champions League etc.? The way I see it very few will purchase without seeing improvement on the playing side first. He would have to speculate to accumulate, but will he? Has he at Newsacatle?

We sell close to 100,000 just now and we're the worst we've ever been. With the exception of the big two in Spain, Bayern currently and Man U/City and Chelsea clubs don't sell strips to anyone but their own supporters in any numbers that count.

How?

This CL line is spin that is pushed & repeated constantly so as to become a 'mindset', an automaticly accepted response.

You will note it is never accompanied with an explanation or outline of how it is to be achieved, that's because it's bullshit.

Same with the European angle in general.

There are much cheaper, more targeted and effective ways for SD to advertise in Europe.

Edited by buster.

If Ashely was to get this over the line and we became Sports Direct Rangers it wouldn't be changing in the forseeable.

My principles wouldn't let me go near a cockney corporate vehicle shaped by dishonest scheming from a line-up of rogues. Nevermind the soulless mediocrity that would follow.

I understand that and I know that you are not alone.

Fans are expected to follow on unquestioningly, but many are questioning now and the answers they are getting are unsatisfactory.

We sell close to 100,000 just now and we're the worst we've ever been. With the exception of the big two in Spain, Bayern currently and Man U/City and Chelsea clubs don't sell strips to anyone but their own supporters in any numbers that count.

That's my point, if we sell 100,000 @ £50 = £5M. Will he spend money to get us into Champions League as per original post newspaper report? He would have to spend a lot more than £5M to get us into CL.

P

He doesn't have to the club are legally obliged to buy up the slack.