That is when Jack will launch the £5m/£10m war chest stories with revenge thrown into the mix. I can't help but be cynical as it is a fairground carousel that never stops.

You can only buy so much time with bullshit. I don't think we're in for another revolution of the merry-go-round - I think the attempt to shaft us will be different this time.

My prediction is that we'll be given enough success to keep us sweet - so that MA's deals continue to be worthwhile. I also predict that the success will not be funded by investment, or fair payment by SD for advertising and retail, but by more loans that will be called in one day when MA is finished with us.

Edited by Thinker

You can only buy so much time with bullshit. I don't think we're in for another revolution of the merry-go-round - I think the attempt to shaft us will be different this time.

My prediction is that we'll be given enough success to keep us sweet - so that MA's deals continue to be worthwhile. I also predict that the success will not be funded by investment, or fair payment by SD for advertising and retail, but by more loans that will be called in one day when MA is finished with us.

The term 'expectation management' will feature more prominently, alongside and interlinked with some of the more traditional methods.

Fans have bought into Murray, Whyte, Green, Ahmad, Maher, Stockbridge, Easdales, Somers, Wallace, Ashley etc. so I don't see anything changing. The musical chairs will just keep repeating and the fans will be saying to give the new board a chance.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I don't think you fully apprecaite the state of play within our support after so much dishonest turmoil.

Yes, there will always be a base of unconditional followers but with every passing month, it is getting smaller.

Yip I agree, but these people remain 'fans' they don't go and support another side and that's the lesson business has learned. Even just now, if our side was playing anywhere close to exciting football we'd be getting 30,000. As such they're still susceptible to buying merchandise. This is win-win for Ashley just now. If the side improves, starts playing better and getting results a percentage of the support will return to matches particularly if we start challenging for the title again. If results don't improve the pressure on McCoist will become intolerable and he'll walk. A new manager will bring an increase in interest and crowds, initially at least.

Fans have bought into Murray, Whyte, Green, Ahmad, Maher, Stockbridge, Easdales, Somers, Wallace, Ashley etc. so I don't see anything changing. The musical chairs will just keep repeating and the fans will be saying to give the new board a chance.

It's been a downward spiral that can't go on forever.

However, Ashely will look to reach a level whereby he keeps enough fans onside to give him a worthwhile return and thereafter maintain operations at a similar level.

He will use a lot of spin, depend on blind loyalty and hope for the odd bit of success.

Problem

Rangers continually competing for second place is a very difficult sell, even for Ashely and spindoctors.

Edited by buster.

John - while the club being self-sustainable would be welcome, if your analysis is correct then the buying habits of Rangers fans must - absolutely must - change radically. Rewarding an owner who creates a permanent culture of mediocrity would surely be too far, even for us?

Andy, almost every club has supporters who sustain mediocrity. Outside of Celtic every side in the Scottish top flight began this season knowing they wouldn't win the league, yet they still buy tickets, strips, hats and assorted tat. Look at England, success is now finishing fourth, mediocrity is celebrated not just tolerated.

Making the club unattractive to people like Ashley is difficult, all normal societal rules are suspended when football enters the equation. Loyalty to your 'team' is a cultural meme, propagated by Sky and avaricious betting companies and mass produced lager conglomerates. Everything is hyped, most people don't even realise they're perpetuating mediocrity.

I accept Rangers history of success makes selling mediocrity more difficult, but trust me it can be sold.

What do we mean by success? Everything is relative, right?

Success does not have to mean that we go from the doldrums of the Championship to the CL in one season. Right now I'd surmise that many Rangers' fans who see their team skate the Championship and make an honest attempt at winning the Premiership would consider that to be a success.

Would Ashley consider that a success? If it brought crowds of 30,000 + and who were buying merchandise, I suppose he would.

Those figures quoted above will not continue if the present trends continue. Falling crowds, boycotters, parallel merchandising and negativism everywhere will impact on sales. Will Ashley see that as a success?

We are a very small niche in his overall interests, but he has already shown us that the present situation is unacceptable. He has sent in Llambias to cut away the driftwood. Who's next?

You would have to think that come January he will cut away about six of the dross playing for us, and bring in a few energetic souls. Not stars, but certainly an improvement on the present incumbents. Save on salaries, expend a few million £s here and there, and put a temporary stay on the sp*vs feeding from the trough; is that success?

This is a global brand we are talking about here, do you think Ashley likes to lose?

Yes, John, mediocracy can be sold but it must appear to be a success.

Those of you who are dripping in cynicism when you talk about Rangers' success, I think you want Rangers to be successful so badly you can taste it.