I am surpised that Ashley is prepared to countenance and effectively pay for a year's gardening leave but he has softened the blow on the share offer and the Club financially by promoting McDowall, which is a clever move out of left field that none (probabaly McCoist and McDowall included) might have anticipated.

However, anyone who sees what happens in front of the dug out week in and week out will not be surprised.

It has been obvious in recent days that McCoist had lost the support of the Boardroom and appeared to have successfully called their bluff by giving notice. However, I think that what might have happened is that he was made an offer to work till the end of the season or perhaps as I suggested in the earlier thread, £200,000 - £250,000 to go now and refused, perhaps thinking that they would then make a better offer. But in this game of bluff and counter bluff, the Board/Ashley have been too clever.

In putting him on gardening leave for a year, they have called Ally's bluff. This means that if he wants his £750,000 plus the £350,000 -£400,000 deferred he has to stay on the books for the 12 months. If gets an offer he wants to accept to go back into TV, then he will have to resign immediately and Rangers won't owe him a penny. Also if he says a word out of place then he will be in breach of contract and they'll sack him for gross misconduct and let him sue if he wants to pursue it.

Whatever was said today, obviously they were not going to take the chance of him disrupting the AGM, nor in reality could they really justify his non-attendance as Manager, which is why they have acted tonight.

It is another embarrassing moment in a long list of embarrassing moments but Ally should have resigned with immediate effect (not given notice) after Alloa or if not Alloa, certainly after it was clear last Friday night that he was no longer able to motivate the players (if indeed he has ever been capable of that).

Let's be honest BH he should have gone long ago. This board failed miserably in their duties by allowing him to stay as long as he did. And what's he left behind? An antiquated squad with little or no resale value although thankfully most are out of contract at the end of this season.All things considered perhaps it wasnt possible to bring in a new manager right now.What if he failed to get promotion? Where would that leave him? would he get binned too?

The big question now is how to get promoted back to the top division. Unless half a dozen or so signings arrive in january(probably loan signings from england)then we've no chance.I've no idea if money would get made available for that though.

Saturday's game against Hibz is a must win for McDowall. He must make an immediate impact on the team and get rid off some of McCoist's dreadful trademarks i.e. Low tempo, no creativity, poor delivery at set pieces, players played constantly out of position etc, etc. If he doesnt then I think the knives will soon be out for him too.

Let's be honest BH he should have gone long ago. This board failed miserably in their duties by allowing him to stay as long as he did. And what's he left behind? An antiquated squad with little or no resale value although thankfully most are out of contract at the end of this season.All things considered perhaps it wasnt possible to bring in a new manager right now.What if he failed to get promotion? Where would that leave him? would he get binned too?

The big question now is how to get promoted back to the top division. Unless half a dozen or so signings arrive in january(probably loan signings from england)then we've no chance.I've no idea if money would get made available for that though.

Saturday's game against Hibz is a must win for McDowall. He must make an immediate impact on the team and get rid off some of McCoist's dreadful trademarks i.e. Low tempo, no creativity, poor delivery at set pieces, players played constantly out of position etc, etc. If he doesnt then I think the knives will soon be out for him too.

I can't find anything to disagree with there RR.

It will be very interesting to see if there are any immediate personnel changes e.g McCulloch (but who would play there, Faure perhaps, bet he wished Zaliukas was fit to play). And surely he won't start Smith in LMF, Templeton or Shiels have to be better choices if we are going to win.

Chris Jack @Chris_Jack89 · 1h1 hour ago

Rangers are a poorer club without Ally. Managerial mistakes wont diminish legendary status. Deserves more credit & thanks than he'll receive

Rangers are certainly a poorer club. Ally, unfortunately is not a good enough manager, even for the Scottish Championship.

I love the guy for his exploits on the pitch. His time as manager has been a disaster.

They took too long to get to this stage - a bad mistake.

They have put an assistant in charge - another gaffe. New blood was required to excite the fan base - that hasn't happened. We desperately need promotion to happen, but the board doesn't seem to be acting as though this is a priority.

Ally can enjoy a year's sabbatical while £750,000 is added to his bank account. He always seems to land on his feet. He should take the family on a series of long holidays and not say a word publicly until his employment is over.

The board looks like it has no clue what it is doing. Ally has gone but he'll be feeling like a winner tonight.

The good news?

Billy Davies didn't get the job.

The saga continues.