Wasp, just because McCoist has gone most certainly doesn't mean McDowell is the saviour, in fact it's quite the opposite. McDowell was assistant to Ally which says everything. Sorry for bursting your bubble of joy mate.

I am simply wishing him all the best.knowing he can't do any worse than the previous excuse for a manager.

kenny could do himself some huge favours here.

we have by far the best players in the league all he has to do is get in there , drop jig, play a higher defensive line with players working hard to close down, play players in their right positions and play good attacking football all the time and if results follow the job will be his.

or he can go coach in America like hes been planning for ages cause he know the tin tak was coming.

Revealed: Rangers board put Ally McCoist out to grass because they feared what he would say at AGM

Dec 22, 2014 06:00

By Gary Ralston

THE under-pressure Ibrox board moved to put McCoist on gardening leave over fears he would prove an embarrassment at the shareholders' meeting today.

RANGERS last night put Ally McCoist on gardening leave amid fears he was ready to use the Ibrox AGM to voice his anger at the running of the club.

McCoist’s three-and-a-half-year tenure as boss came to an end after a day of frantic behind the scenes manoeuvres by the club’s beleaguered board.

Kenny McDowall, McCoist’s right-hand man, will take charge of the team for the rest of the season.

McCoist handed in his notice 10 days ago but made it clear he was willing to see out the remaining 12 months of his deal, as required by his contract.

That was never a serious option and it’s understood his future was in line to be discussed this week, following the AGM at Ibrox this morning that is expected to be stormy.

The Ibrox club confirmed the news of McCoist’s departure in a statement that read: “Rangers would like to announce that Ally McCoist is relinquishing his duties as manager and will serve out the remainder of his 12-month notice period on gardening leave.

“We would like to thank Ally for all his hard work and dedication over the last few years but we feel it’s now in the best interests of all parties to move on.

“Assistant manager Kenny McDowall will take over his duties until the end of the season.”

McCoist claimed on Friday he was in the dark over the issue of addressing shareholders at the AGM, a stance he maintained in the aftermath of the 2-0 win against Livingston.

But if he was offered the chance to speak, sources believe he would have used the platform to voice his disquiet about recent redundancies. McCoist has been devastated at the departure of long-serving staff members, most of them committed Rangers fans, and is worried the heart and soul is being torn from the club.

It’s believed he’s also uneasy that legendary figures such as John Greig no longer feel welcome and mentor and great friend Walter Smith has also confessed to being uncomfortable at Ibrox under recent regimes.

At the weekend, McCoist’s pal and ally John Brown was not welcomed in the directors’ box and moved to another suite in the stadium, despite being a guest of the manager.

New chief executive Derek Llambias moved to decide McCoist’s future ahead of schedule, aware of the embarrassment that could be caused to the board, no matter how measured McCoist’s address.

No.2 McDowall will be in charge for the visit to Hibs on Saturday, a match that is gearing up to be one of the most crucial of the Championship season as Hearts could go 12 points clear at the top when they play tomorrow night.

Llambias is now under pressure to name a new boss who can get the title bid back on track but Rangers fan Kenny Burns has told him to forget about Billy Davies.

The former Scotland defender, a Nottingham Forest icon, said: “I don’t want Billy Davies managing my team, Rangers. I would hate it if he was to be given the job at Ibrox.

“He’s already messed up one club I love in Nottingham Forest – twice – and I don’t want him doing the same at my boyhood club.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-rangers-board-put-ally-4851668

When Souness left we turned to his assistant and that turned out okay I suppose.

I wish Kenny good luck, he's highly regarded as a coach by almost everyone in football, that's quite different from being a manager though. McCoist has taken some stick by armchair tacticians over his statement that the players out of contract this summer need sorted out. Those who have driven themselves half-mad with their hatred of McCoist the manager seized on this as further evidence of his profligate nature and inability to make hard decisions regarding players he has a soft spot for.

In actual fact it was as sensible a thing as McCoist has publicly uttered for a while. Playing for Rangers is a job to the players, it's what pays the mortgage and the bills and funds the lifestyle. No matter how overpaid we view professional footballers it's a short career and most aim to make as much as possible out of it while they can. We'd all do the same I've no doubt about that.

So here's the thing, having a significant number of your squad not knowing if they're getting a new contract is destabilising. If a player knows that come May they aren't getting paid anymore then certain things begin to happen. Firstly they don't risk playing with any niggles, no one is going to take the chance of a tight hamstring turning into a fully blown torn one for a club that are possibly discarding you in five months. Likewise, those 50/50 tackles, who really wants to take the chance of picking up an injury when trying to secure a contract with a new club, it's not a great career move. Thirdly it creates disharmony in the squad, those who are unsure of their future naturally worry, their wives and partners are rightfully asking for some stability or at least a clear idea if they're going to have to move house again, they themselves are being asked to perform by someone who in all likelihood isn't going to be managing the side next season, perhaps even next month, what's the point in impressing him?

McCoist carried weight around Ibrox, directors were nervous of him, he had currency with the players, the staff, the support and the media, that gave him some clout when it mattered. The players know the the 'new' guy doesn't.

McDowall might well surprise all of us, if he does it will be a footballing miracle frankly, because he's playing with a loaded deck and he's out of chips before he sat at the table.