Wonderful, Andy, as usual!

I'm 35 so don't remeber him bursting on the scene but I am old enough to remember the pictures of the tackle from he who shall remain unnamed.

I am disappointed that it didn't work out for Ally and Ian but they were on a hiding to nothing as soon as SDM sold to the shyster and the current omnishambles unfurled.

Merry Christmas Gersnetters!

The SFA failed to do their job when Whyte appeared on the scene or listen to the Board at the time. If they had then admin might have happened. Ditto for the SPL although their actions in trying to fuck us over for titles won't be forgotten.

BBC love to stick the knife and I agree that they're not responsible for our downfall. Perversely is can be argued that we should have listened, but their coverage was so one sided that ot was hard to take as credible.

However, I never blamed them for our downfall. They're part of the problem, though.

These are all problems of our own doing.

Indeed they are, Ser. Three fronts to fight after we've won the main battle. When, where and what is left is my interest.

Don't forget the tax office we still have another fight with them to come.

Many thought provoking replies.

I think Durrant as a coach to young players could work. Primarily I'm thinking of what he could bring to a player like Barrie McKay, who in shape at least resembles Durrant closely. He'd also be pretty good at busting balloons and keeping feet on the ground. Added to that I really want a youth coach who isn't interested in the size of a player but his ability, and you'd have to believe Durrant would be one of those.

Here's some clips to give a flavour of the man as a player, goal at 1:04. This will also give you an idea of what Ted McMinn could do on his day - there's a level of skill on show here which puts today's drivel into context: Cooper, McMinn, Derek Ferguson, Burns, McStay and MacLeod. Luckily for us they thought Whyte & McGuigan were defenders. What an outburst of energy after nigh on a decade being humped by them. Man, how I miss those days.

The third goal, at 1.30. Another assault on Durrant at 2.34, btw. One touch football! Terraces! Walter yelling 'ya fucking beauty!'

Even after being crippled, check out this one against Marseille.

Whilst I was failing to persuade six year olds to go back to bed you were penning post of the year. Hat tipped.

I loved Durrant. He appeared at a time when we simply weren't very good and his emergence was like the first shoots poking through in late winter foretelling better times ahead. Players like Hugh Burns, Cammy Fraser, Bobby Williamson and Kenny Black were the staple heroes then, fully committed, physical players without an inch of guile between them. Davie Cooper had more or less gone on strike over our poverty of player and Bobby Russell couldn't hold down a regular place.

When Durrant appeared as a teenager with Kempes like flowing locks on a fourteen year old's body you feared for him. But he was special. You read stories about George Best breaking into the Man U team as a teenager. The club had a 'tradition' of playing training matches on a car park where the experienced pros would physically intimidate the youth players in an effort to 'make or break' them. Those that could live with the literal kicking they took were deemed strong enough both mentally and physically to go on, those it broke were discarded. Apparently the entire first team defence decided that Best needed 'sorted', his dribbling, feints and tricks were not on, humiliating season professionals couldn't be allowed. But for a fortnight they literally were unable to kick him, try as they might, he was simply to fast and to skilful.

It's no exaggeration to compare him to Durrant. Durrant ghosted past players, his position and timing of his runs was uncanny but what was most impressive was his ability to play in a 'mans' game whilst looking like a child. He must have experienced unbelievable intimidation, particularly at first. If he can pass that on alone he's worth keeping on at the club.

My favourite Durrant moment wasn't a goal, it came in the League Cup Final against Celtic, a game in which he scored and was fouled for the winning penalty. Yet for me his finest moment came in his own box, deep in the second half, Celtic were attacking and attacking, our defence half cleared the ball and it fell to Durrant, he was facing our goal about 15 yards out, every other players first reaction would have been to blooter the ball out of the park, Durrant performed a 'Cryuff turn' wrong footed the entire Celtic team and most of the Rangers one, turning frantic defending into attack in a matter of seconds.

I've probably only seen half a dozen players in my lifetime who'd have had the ability and thought process to have performed that in the heat of an old firm cup final.

When you think most of these players were Scottish then you have to wonder what has happened to our youth system. The SFA should be ashamed of themselves.

Teacher's strike of the mid 1980s, mate - that's where you want to be looking. Teachers used to take the school clubs as a matter of course, unpaid work, something you did as part of your professional obligation. Along comes Thatcher and starts treating professionals like casual labourers and everything is costed and priced to the farthing. Result? Teachers give up their unpaid extra-curricular work; The schools no longer have 3 football teams, a couple of rugby teams, hockey, badminton, table tennis, swimming - all gone in the name of efficiency and putting the unions in their places.

The SFA can be blamed for not filling the void, but the void was created by Thatcher..