The SARS 'rogue unit' and Dave King's 'potential' re-investigation

I thought I would start a fresh thread on this as it is starting to be discussed on other threads. I think it needs a thread of its own as it is a separate issue from others (feel free to delete Admins if you think otherwise)

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dave-kings-dream-owning-rangers-4875145

As I read this case, it appears that the SA Sunday Times started an investigation of their own regarding a 'rogue unit' within SARS that acted in an 'illegal' manner when investigating certain tax cases. An independent panel was set up to investigate the Sunday Times' claims and they came to the conclusion that there was a case needing investigated officially. Now here is where 'others' put their spin on it. Dave King and other high profile tax case protagonists have done nothing wrong here. and are not under any new legal investigation at this point.

[As I read it] in the articles I've read, this panel have urged high ranking SARS officials to set up a unit to investigate themselves. But furthermore evidence seems to be appearing that the SA Government have been aware of this unit for quite some time and may actually have sanctioned it.

Bottom line for me is that Dave King (and others) will not lose any sleep over this whatsoever, and there is absolutely no chance of Dave King being restricted either in his movements or business while this rumbles on (if it does!). It will take years and years for this to come to a head, or it will just go away.

There is no story at the moment regarding Dave King and this issue. Unless of course you want there to be (Jack?).

Edited by Anchorman

Chip wrapper one expert here dismissed it as. I would put money on Dave's contribution being at least doubled he did after all admit to his crimes, with jail time thrown in, always darkest before the door slams shut to reveal your new SA cell kapo.

"Billionaire businessman Dave King is the most prominent among high-profile South Africans who could be slapped with far higher tax bills if their deals with the taxman are reviewed.

The findings of the investigation, carried out by a panel headed by Johannesburg advocate Muzi Sikhakhane, largely confirm reports by the Sunday Times over the past few months - and vociferously denied by SARS at the time - that the rogue unit engaged in a wide array of illegal tactics.

It found "prima facie evidence" that SARS operated a covert unit that illegally spied on the taxpayers it was investigating, including some it had cut deals with.

The result is that all deals reached in the past 10 years could be up for review, with potentially damaging consequences for SARS, long regarded as one of the government's "cleanest" and most effective agencies".

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2014/12/21/tax-u-turns-on-cards-after-probe-into-sars-rogue-unit

It's the SARS team that's been investigated. If it turns out they have obtained information illegally, it's more likely anyone falling foul of them will get their money back

You would think there would be that element to consider also.

chip wrapper one expert here dismissed it as. I would put money on dave's contribution being at least doubled he did after all admit to his crimes, with jail time thrown in, always darkest before the door slams shut to reveal your new sa cell kapo.

"billionaire businessman dave king is the most prominent among high-profile south africans who could be slapped with far higher tax bills if their deals with the taxman are reviewed.

The findings of the investigation, carried out by a panel headed by johannesburg advocate muzi sikhakhane, largely confirm reports by the sunday times over the past few months - and vociferously denied by sars at the time - that the rogue unit engaged in a wide array of illegal tactics.

It found "prima facie evidence" that sars operated a covert unit that illegally spied on the taxpayers it was investigating, including some it had cut deals with.

The result is that all deals reached in the past 10 years could be up for review, with potentially damaging consequences for sars, long regarded as one of the government's "cleanest" and most effective agencies".

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2014/12/21/tax-u-turns-on-cards-after-probe-into-sars-rogue-unit

Beelin'.

Edited by Rangersitis

..... the rogue unit engaged in a wide array of illegal tactics.

It found "prima facie evidence" that SARS operated a covert unit that illegally spied on the taxpayers it was investigating, including some it had cut deals with.

The result is that all deals reached in the past 10 years could be up for review, with potentially damaging consequences for SARS, long regarded as one of the government's "cleanest" and most effective agencies".

I think you will also find that DK tried to highlight on many occasions, throughout his investigation, how corrupt SARS were. Proof :thup:?