KENNY McDOWALL fears Lewis Macleod’s departure could trigger exodus

KENNY McDOWALL fears Lewis Macleod’s departure to Brentford could trigger the start of an Ibrox transfer-window exodus.

The caretaker Rangers boss lost his prize asset yesterday when the young midfielder signed a three-and-a-half-year deal with the Championship outfit.

But with an entire team of players out of contract in the summer and free to speak with interested parties from today, McDowall is worried his promotion push will be undermined by further sales.

The Ibrox interim manager, who had no say in Macleod’s £1million move south, was gutted to lose him.

When asked if he feels the 20-year-old is much better than Brentford, McDowall said: “I absolutely think so – but that’ll be down to Lewis, whether or not he fulfils his potential.

“He has a lot of experience for a young lad and that will stand him in good stead.

“I was told he was going for a medical, that was as much as I heard. That’s the beauty of the window. It’s the month from hell.

“It’s generally not a good window with most teams wanting to keep their best players. Unfortunately we are not capable and are not being allowed to.

“I will just have to wait and see what else happens. It’s outwith my control.”

Lee McCulloch, Steve Simonsen, Kenny Miller, Kris Boyd, Kyle Hutton, Richard Foster, Lee Robinson, Stevie Smith, Bilel Mohsni, Ian Black and Jon Daly are all out of contract in June.

And McDowall will seek urgent talks with chief executive Derek Llambias and football board chairman Sandy Easdale to address the situation.

He said: “I’ll need to have meetings pretty sharp with Derek and Sandy. They’re free to speak with people so we’ll need to address that.”

Given the uncertainty, kids Callum Gallagher, Craig Halkett, Tom Walsh Robbie Crawford and Kyle McAusland have all been brought back to Gers from their loan spells.

Subject to international clearance, Macleod will become a Brentford player when the window officially opens on January 3 but will not be eligible for the FA Cup clash with Brighton.

Bees boss Mark Warburton said: “I’m delighted to have secured such a young talent as Lewis. He’s had an outstanding season and will be an excellent addition.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-boss-kenny-mcdowall-lewis-4900649?

Edited by SteveC

KENNY McDOWALL fears Lewis Macleod’s departure to Brentford could trigger the start of an Ibrox transfer-window exodus.

. . .

Lee McCulloch, Steve Simonsen, Kenny Miller, Kris Boyd, Kyle Hutton, Richard Foster, Lee Robinson, Stevie Smith, Bilel Mohsni, Ian Black and Jon Daly are all out of contract in June.

Nobody else fears this 'exodus'. I would welcome it.

It seems clear that every first team player who has only six months left on their contract will be told to find another club this month, every other player is available for transfer and those left at the end of the month will make up the first team squad. That's our current strategy, whilst some seem to welcome this madness I for one would rather we got promoted and that the best way of doing that is by getting the best out of our better players, not freeing them and playing the reserves or those no other club wants. On top of that they'll be managed by someone who himself doesn't think he can do the job far less want it, his assistant was warned not manage East Fife for health reasons and they are being assisted by a player who has never coached before.

Curious recipe for success.

It seems clear that every first team player who has only six months left on their contract will be told to find another club this month, every other player is available for transfer and those left at the end of the month will make up the first team squad. That's our current strategy, whilst some seem to welcome this madness I for one would rather we got promoted and that the best way of doing that is by getting the best out of our better players, not freeing them and playing the reserves or those no other club wants. On top of that they'll be managed by someone who himself doesn't think he can do the job far less want it, his assistant was warned not manage East Fife for health reasons and they are being assisted by a player who has never coached before.

Curious recipe for success.

is it as bad as that ?

It seems clear that every first team player who has only six months left on their contract will be told to find another club this month, every other player is available for transfer and those left at the end of the month will make up the first team squad.

The players listed above are unlikely to go anywhere until the summer. I would believe all are getting better deals than available elsewhere. I would be surprised to learn that anybody wants to sign these players during an existing contract.

You can relax.

Having a manager who seems like an ill fit in the job could certainly trigger an exodus.

If the management position isn't addressed, the football side of the club could descend into chaos.