Rangers legend Marco Negri opens up on mean and moody reputation...

...ahead of return to Ibrox for Fernando Ricksen testimonial.

MARCO Negri's time at Rangers was plagued with mystery and controversy. The Italian striker opens up on what will be an emotional return to Glasgow later this month as he gets set to play in Fernando Ricksen's testimonial match.

JS54155539.jpg

MARCO NEGRI was an enigma. An international man of mystery who came to these shores burning as brightly as a Roman candle before fizzling out just as quickly.

It was 1997 and Negri was the £3.5million worth of Italian striking talent bought by Walter Smith to fire Rangers to the Holy Grail of 10 in a row.

For five months the long-haired Negri scored goals as if they were going out of fashion. Five against Dundee United, four against Dunfermline, three against Kilmarnock – 30 goals plundered before ’97 turned to ’98.

Then, in the blink of an eye, it was over. A game of squash with team-mate Sergio Porrini ended in horrific injury and everything changed.

Negri suffered a detached retina after being smacked in the eye with the squash ball and when he came back he wasn’t the same player.

He scored only three more goals for Rangers and when Smith left, to be replaced by Dick Advocaat, Negri played just three games in two seasons until he was loaned and finally sold back to Italy.

In all that time he hardly uttered a word in public. He made Howard Hughes look like Harry Redknapp.

So when Negri picks up his phone in Bologna and speaks with enthusiasm and exuberance, in perfect English, about his time in Glasgow the listener is a little taken aback.

Now 44, he hasn’t returned to Glasgow since leaving in November 2001 but that will change when Negri pulls on a Rangers jersey again in the testimonial match that has been arranged for the benefit of Motor Neuron Disease victim Fernando Ricksen at Ibrox on Sunday, January 25.

The fact he was willing to drop everything and come to the aid of his stricken former team-mate is an indication there was far more to Negri than the public perception.

But he believes the reputation he got for being mean and moody stemmed from the day that earmarked him as something special – a 5-1 demolition of Dundee United a month after joining Rangers.

He said: “People saying I was unhappy came from what I call my perfect game – the day I scored five goals against Dundee United.

“But before that game there was an incident with a member of the Rangers staff that I was very unhappy about. I can’t say any more than that but I was not happy going out on to the pitch.

“If you look at the goals I scored against Kilmarnock or Celtic or anybody else you will see me laughing and smiling.

“But everyone just looks at the Dundee United match and they think I should be over the moon because I scored five goals – but I was upset before that game.”

He doesn’t say any more because he is keeping the juicy stuff for a book he has coming out in Scotland in April about his controversial life and times.

JS54155634.jpg

But he does admit he is excited at the prospect of returning to Ibrox, although he wishes the circumstances were happier.

He added: “I have to be honest and say there are many emotions. Of course it will be wonderful to play in front of the Rangers fans again. It’s a long time since I’ve played and I don’t want to let myself down.

“But on the other side is the reason for the match – we are doing something for a team-mate who has a terrible illness and is putting up such a brave fight.

“Fernando is struggling and we will do what we can to help. I am bringing my 10-year-old-son Christian to Glasgow for the first time and it will be a chance for him to watch me playing with the blue jersey.

“I am already a little under pressure because he is telling me I have to score a goal!

“A lot of feelings I have will be unlocked when I come to Glasgow. We are coming over for a few days and I want to show my son the city and the stadium.

“We will act as tourists and of course there is the game and I am doing a question and answer session for Fernando’s charity.”

Ask if he regrets the manner in which his Rangers career ended and his answer is instant.

“Of course,” he said. “I have regrets that my story with Rangers is not complete.

“I know my time there was seen by others as being mysterious and controversial. I am bringing out a book in April and those issues will be dealt with at that time but there were injuries and many misunderstandings. And of course there was a squash ball...”

The physical pain may have long gone but 17 years on the emotional scars remain.

He said: “For me, my career ended the day I was hit in the eye with that squash ball on the fifth of January.

“I tried to come back. Rangers were struggling a little bit as they tried to win 10 in a row and the pressure was huge for everyone. I had to rest for two months because the pressure on my eye was very high. I couldn’t train properly, I couldn’t do anything.

“I was a striker, a penalty box player, and my game was all about sharpness.

“That’s why I played squash – it helped my footwork and movement.

“But although I got playing again it wasn’t the same. The eye wasn’t right but I wanted to play my part.

“Absolutely, I regret it. It started so well. I was winning the race for the European Golden Boot and waiting for a call-up to the Italy squad ahead of the World Cup in France.

“I was on top of the world and then something terrible happened.

“As a player you can expect to injure your knee or your ankle or something. But believe me, I did not expect to go to a squash court with Sergio Porrini on my day off and come back without a retina in my eye.

“It was terrible luck and although I am relaxed about speaking about it now, at the time it was so hard to live with.”

Negri is happy now, though. And after the Ricksen match he is looking forward to representing Rangers in Australia at a summer coaching school.

He said: “I’ve been doing soccer camps with a big society in Milan with players like Fabio Cannavaro, Massimo Ambrosini and Alessandro Costacurta.

“Last season I did it in Portland in the USA and the year before in Seattle.

“This June I am going to Darwin in Australia with Rangers to become involved in some soccer schools being run by the club. That will help me give something back to the club.

“I was contacted by Andrew Power, a Rangers fan, who runs the biggest soccer school in Australia. He saw what I had done for the Milan Society in the USA and Italy and asked if I’d be interested. I said yes immediately.”

Doesn’t sound much like Moody Marco, does he? Maybe in reality he never was.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/rangers-legend-marco-negri-opens-4952619?

Guest Blue Chopsticks
Him and Mols.... imagine the thought. Every defence in Scotland would have been terrorized - both of them wonderful talents that had their careers somewhat ripped from them due to injury.

eQIyH.gif