I was trolling through a few Jambo websites, hoping to pick up a couple of titbits for Friday evening's match preview. There is considerable angst among the talk o' ra toon that Rangers have reciprocated the ticket allocation we received at Tynecastle, ie just under a thousand. I can understand maroon frustrations, they all want to there to witness another skelping of the mighty Rangers and be able to say, "I was there" on the hat-trick of administered punishment.

Back in the day, I remember the Hearts support trapping at Ibrox circa 10,000 strong. An early season game at the start of the seventies, attendance of 50,000 and a fifth of those in maroon in ra Sellik end, going deservedly berserk in homage to their fleet-footed winger, Kenny Aird ripping us several new ones, as we crumbled 0-3. The early 80s on an ice bound pitch, the whole Broomloan and part of the Main Stand populated by Hearty Harrys, wholly appreciative as their favourites comfortable defeated Rangers, 0-2.

Thus, Hearts have the support, should we accommodate them?

The cleverer Jambos are playing the common currency card. We need the dosh, the lights could be out as early as next week, why not allow 5,000 Hearts supporters to ease the very real pain? A cash pay-in gate would have some of our current Board members salivating at the possibility of negotiating the marble stair case with bulging pockets? Would an enhanced crowd of between 35-40,000 improve the atmosphere and inspire the Bears to an unexpected victory? Do we demand continued strict adherence to starving out the Board?

It's a conundrum for all Bears and given that a considerable percentage of both broadcast and print media NEVER miss an opportunity to twist the knife, I am surprised, genuinely that the situation has not been fully exploited. What do Gersnetters think? Should the old stadium extend the welcoming hand to the boys in maroon?

I'm surprised the board haven't increased their allocation but I would suspect a bigger crowd than of late in any case.

A bigger away support may have resulted in a better atmosphere as well but I guess we need every advantage going to give us a chance of three points.

I'm surprised the board haven't increased their allocation but I would suspect a bigger crowd than of late in any case.

A bigger away support may have resulted in a better atmosphere as well but I guess we need every advantage going to give us a chance of three points.

If Kenny McD' continues to omit Black from the team, will he sit on the bench or join his fellow Jambos in the corner of Broomloan/Govan? What's the betting?

It certainly gives credence to the claims that the board/investors really don't care what the attendance figures are. Every penny that doesn't go into the coffers at this point in time is good news, but I feel sorry for the fans of both clubs who are being prevented from attending or feel that they can't handle over their cash.

Article from the Hearts site last Monday -

Club secures additional Ibrox tickets

By: Hearts Media on 05 Jan, 2015 14:07

Heart of Midlothian is delighted to announce an additional away ticket allocation for the Championship match against Rangers at Ibrox on January 16.

Following some very helpful discussions with Rangers over the weekend and again this morning, the club can reveal it will have a total of just over 2,000 tickets to sell to Hearts supporters for the top of the table clash a week on Friday, kick-off 7.45pm.

These extra tickets will go on sale at 9am on Thursday, January 8 to supporters with 115 or more loyalty points. Full details can be found by clicking here.

Meanwhile the first batch of tickets, 950 in number, sold out within two hours went they became available on Tuesday.

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/4082

I thought I would relate a telephone conversation held last evening with an old Hearts supporting mate.

He had read the post and was particularly interested in the Kenny Aird inspired skelping, and asked for a date. I suggested early season 73/74?

We got to talking about Rangers/Hearts games in the late 60s/early 70s and how the winter fixture was always a trial on the eyes. Standing at the back of an open, high terrace in the rain/glaur/darkness, watching under comparatively(by today's standards) poor floodlighting; by the middle of the second half, it was increasingly difficult to differentiate between the teams. Both Ibrox and Tynecastle were heavily sanded through the middle, and both turfs cut-up right from the off. Similar dark coloured jerseys and the same shorts and dark socks; all splattered with mud, made things difficult.

The game that was an immediate relief was December'72, Hearts turned up in their maroon and white version of the iconic Ajax strip. It was below freezing, a dozen fires burning on the terraces. We battered the Jam Tarts for ninety minutes, couldn't score. In injury time, they ran up the pitch and Tommy Murray sat on the ball(just like Bud had done in the League Cup final in front of Jim Craig), stood up and laid off a pass(possibly to Carruthers), who crossed to the back post where the mercurial Donald Ford was waiting to nod the winner. The new strips on a frozen hard pitch meant we all had a great view.

The Jambos, if the mate's attitude is typical, are salivating in anticipation of Friday evening. The phone was placed down when I enquired as to the whereabouts of Albert Kidd and Henry Smith?