While the future of the club is at stake I'm hoping we don't fill the role permanently; I'd rather that happened after a takeover and an injection of cash together with a proper medium term plan that includes scouting and youth development.

The last thing we need is another mediocre assignment on a long term contract that will need paying off. It's also difficult to sack a manager who is pretty average and unexceptional without actually having really poor results - which is what I think we can expect from the usual suspects of Calderwood, Nichol, Williamson et al.

I'd rather wait for the takeover and then take time to find a reasonably exceptional coaching team - that obviously we can attract at our current level but also befits our aspirations and potential. While many baulk at the wages of McCoist and his back-room staff, it's the kind of level of wage we need to offer - presuming we can increase our revenues back to previous (but non CL) levels.

100% agree....

IF they do bring anyone new in as Manager, it needs to be until end of season as a maximum.

Hopefully by that time, a more stable structure will be in place & the club will be able to attract a decent standard on coaching team.

While the future of the club is at stake I'm hoping we don't fill the role permanently; I'd rather that happened after a takeover and an injection of cash together with a proper medium term plan that includes scouting and youth development.

The last thing we need is another mediocre assignment on a long term contract that will need paying off. It's also difficult to sack a manager who is pretty average and unexceptional without actually having really poor results - which is what I think we can expect from the usual suspects of Calderwood, Nichol, Williamson et al.

I'd rather wait for the takeover and then take time to find a reasonably exceptional coaching team - that obviously we can attract at our current level but also befits our aspirations and potential. While many baulk at the wages of McCoist and his back-room staff, it's the kind of level of wage we need to offer - presuming we can increase our revenues back to previous (but non CL) levels.

I'd tend to disagree about wages for any new manager. I believe the manager should be on a basic of say £300k and the rest made up in bonuses of say £300k for winning title and £100k each for winning LC & SC. Another bonus may be added for being in Europe beyond Christmas too.

I think the days of paying a manager's salary regardless of performance needs to end immediately. I would suggest much less generous termination benefits to what McCoist got too.

Edited by RANGERRAB

I'd tend to disagree about wages for any new manager. I believe the manager should be on a basic of say £300k and the rest made up in bonuses of say £300k for winning title and £100k each for winning LC & SC. Another bonus may be added for being in Europe beyond Christmas too.

I think the days of paying a manager's salary regardless of performance needs to end immediately. I would suggest much less generous termination benefits to what McCoist got too.

We are in absolutely no position to be considering paying managers premiership wages again.

You can structure the wage any way you like but the reality is that it has to be attractive to those you seek to employ - if your targets keep turning you down due to other clubs offering a larger basic then you will have to aim lower. I've always said that in football all wages should be more results based - not so much on individual games but end of season success.

For instance I've thought for a long time that football would work better if there was a rule that all basic wages were affordable based on the the worst case scenario for income and therefore affordable even if the team performs incredibly badly. Bonuses should come from the extra income that comes from success - in a profit sharing kind of way. A lot less clubs would be deep in debt if there was such a rule.

A lot of players for the also rans would end up being paid less but it would obviously be more commensurate to their real worth. It would also mean they would have to think about how successful a side is going to be before signing rather than just signing a big contract to then be an underachieving mercenary.

The way things are going there is a huge football credit crunch waiting to happen that could do lasting damage to the game. The bubble has to burst sometime and unless they find some way to even up the income for the big clubs outside the big 5 countries, I can see the popularity of the European game start to shrink in the less well endowed countries which will be damaging to football as a whole.

Let's see: possibly working for free, has at least a little experience as manager and will sure kick every player up the backside who is not performing for the club he loves. I think the board and we could do a lot worse till the end of the season. I'd assume McDowall would drive him to Ibrox to sign and take the job off him ...

No more than a stop-gap, but unless the good guys take over, I'd assume no long-term manager will sign up for us.

In his thus far fledgling managerial career he has been absolutely awful. Doesn't mean he CANT be a success but the signs aren't there that he would be.

It is a sign of how far our standards have dropped when we are happy enough with someone because of their passion, paying scant regard for their managerial resume.

i hear craig mullholand wants the youths to start playing passing and moving football and pressing when we don't have the ball.

so that's perhaps a start.

Did Mulholland get the Youth Academy Director's role ?

In his thus far fledgling managerial career he has been absolutely awful. Doesn't mean he CANT be a success but the signs aren't there that he would be.

It is a sign of how far our standards have dropped when we are happy enough with someone because of their passion, paying scant regard for their managerial resume.

We don't have a lot of options though...

We are still paying the previous manager £800k a year wage.

The current caretaker manager doesn't want the job.

The corporate side of the club is a shambles

We have no money

Playing in the 2nd tier of Scottish football - hoping for a play-off place to get promoted

Hardly gonna entice Mourino to sign up.....

Certainly a start. Though it's pretty simple stuff, my school team in primary 3 had us doing that.

To be fair, the younger age groups within the Academy do exactly that (pass, move and press) - it was when Sinclair got to use his "magic" with them that they lost all semblance of football players. I have heard it argued that some of it is because other teams are very physical so we match them for physicality (probably why Sinclair liked his big, strong, powerful types of player..... but matching fire with fire when the only thing they bring is physicality is so outdated it is unreal.

I would far prefer we adopt the pass, move, press mentality the whole way through the program... if we don't win games or leagues at the U17 level then so be it - we would be preparing the kids for the 1st team, and they should be entering it being able to express themselves in the way football should be played, making it entertaining for the fans in the process.

Interestingly..... Barcelona have a reverse mentality when it comes to footballing philosophy - they actually force the first team to play the way the Academy players play - the idea being that seasoned pros (admittedly Barca players have the technical ability to do it) can adapt to any style of play - so Barcelona get the best players into the Youth Academy and have the Club philosophy start there, not have the Club philosophy start with the first team. It is interesting and it works for them. They then purchase players who enhance the overall Club philosophy.

I have heard nothing but good things about Craig Mulholland.

Agree with all of that except the wages. The wages on offer to McCoist were far in excess of what we should be paying. BPL managers get paid less than that. And don't be kidded by the "expectations" and "demands" on a Rangers manager. We should be able to attract a high quality coach on half of what McCoist was being paid.

Not the words I would use to describe Bobby Williamson.

Never really recovered after Hibs did well with Killie though partly responsible for Naismith and the likes wouldn't give him the Rangers job but.

When at Raith Rovers i always thought Jimmy Nicholl was Rangers bound one day but he went to Millwall and ruined it for himself