Magath didn't just fail and get relegated at Fulham he then sent them hurtling to the foot of the division below, he was catastrophic and used an unbelievable number of players (over 50) in a short period of time with no rhyme nor reason to the changes. A DoF promoting youth and casting a net wide across Europe and instilling fitness and good habits - that sounds good, as long as nearly all the stories circulating about his way of handling players are untrue. But as a manager....

Actually none of this matters, if Ashley takes control this week, as seems likely, we're f@cked for the forseeable

He also won the Bundesliga just a few years ago with Wolfsburg. What's the alternative? The likes of McCall and Butcher who were sacked in the bottom leagues in England?

Yes it was!!! You have selective memory. 90% of that journey to the final was because we 'parked the bus' and managed to sneak a goal at the other end. Tell me one game where we played flowing football. Sporting Lisbon away was probably the only acceptable performance.

Football like art is subjective. Personally, Barca and Spain playing tikitaka did nothing for me - I prefer physical football and counter attacking at speed. I see nothing wrong with any tactic that produces a win, as long as it is in the spirit of the game. And lets face it, continental teams have won many a european tie by diving, and time wasting which isn't in the spirit of the game.

A comparison could be made with Muhammed Ali beating George Foreman in the rumble in the jungle. Ali parked the bus all fight and won with a counter attack. He is hailed as a tactical genius, whilst rangers were derided for playing anti-football. Bleating from teams that would prefer Rangers to have played in a manner which suited them rather than Rangers.

Football like art is subjective. Personally, Barca and Spain playing tikitaka did nothing for me - I prefer physical football and counter attacking at speed. I see nothing wrong with any tactic that produces a win, as long as it is in the spirit of the game. And lets face it, continental teams have won many a european tie by diving, and time wasting which isn't in the spirit of the game.

A comparison could be made with Muhammed Ali beating George Foreman in the rumble in the jungle. Ali parked the bus all fight and won with a counter attack. He is hailed as a tactical genius, whilst rangers were derided for playing anti-football. Bleating from teams that would prefer Rangers to have played in a manner which suited them rather than Rangers.

Football should always be about passing regardless of whether it's with an attacking or defensive mentality. You don't see any decent sides that are incapable of retaining possession for lengthy periods.

The sooner Scottish football catches up with the rest of the world, the sooner our game might become worth watching again.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

You are going way off track here. Nobody was saying it wasn't effective. I am saying it wasn't pretty to watch - full stop. Counter attacking with speed? Please don't say that's what we did in that Uefa run - you are having a laugh. The only time we looked like a decent counter attacking team was in Lisbon.

Please don't compare our football at that time to the great Ali and The Rumble in the Jungle - there is no resemblance whatsoever. Muhammad was coming to the end of his career at 32. Foreman was a killing machine and was only 25. He had knocked Jo Frazier down 6 times and beaten Ken Norton in 2 rounds. Doctors advised Ali not to take the fight and even his own ringside 'cut man', Bundini Brown, begged him not to take the fight. Nobody had it anything other than a total mismatch that should be stopped. That effort by Ali that night is one of the greatest ever sporting achievements, and he didn't just park the bus. 'Rope a dope' had far more tactical genius involved than that, in the way he applied his defence, knowing the physical danger he was in, faced with the sheer brute that was Foreman.

I don't recall us being faced with any 'mismatch' of that magnitude.

Edited by Anchorman

He also won the Bundesliga just a few years ago with Wolfsburg. What's the alternative? The likes of McCall and Butcher who were sacked in the bottom leagues in England?

An extraordinary achievement that, no question, 6 years ago though rather than a few, and he has become a joke figure since. The piss was being ripped out of him when he was appointed at Fulham far less afterwards. Perhaps unfairly but I rememebr the reception clearly , anyway Bundesliga is still a good point. I made no comment re McCall or Butcher, they are of no interest to me as Rangers managers and in one case the very idea makes myskin crawl.

Back to Magath - I had read that the idea was to have him as DoF and us undertaking a European type operation. that sounded better to me - but perhaps as a manger until the end of the season and then that? Who knows, unless the club is cleansed from top to toe it won't matter. We're utterly disastrous in every department. At best uselessly incompetent at worst, at the top, parasitical vermin. No-one on Earth can be a good manager in these circumstances.

Edited by SteveC