Rangers: Rino Gattuso wants return to Ibrox as manager

Former Italy midfielder Rino Gattuso wants to be Rangers manager one day.

Current Rangers team boss Kenny McDowall is working his 12-month notice having handed in his resignation.

And 37-year-old Gattuso, who spent a season with Rangers as a player, this month applied unsuccessfully for the vacancy at Hamilton Academical.

"My dream is to maybe one day to have the chance to work for this club," he said after attending a tribute match for former defender Fernando Ricksen.

"I played today, but manager is a different job. I am sure 100% that this is a big club."

Gattuso did not wish to comment on his application to manage Accies after Alex Neil's switch to Norwich City.

Hamilton last week appointed former captain Martin Canning as player-manager and insisted that they had already decided they wanted the defender to succeed Neil before they received expressions of interest from the Italian among others.

After yesterdays game I would love this to happen! even in a charity game he had more fight in his little toe than our team all season!!! he would shake the team up and get the journey men working for their over inflated wage packet........

Former Italy midfielder Rino Gattuso wants to be Rangers manager one day.

Current Rangers team boss Kenny McDowall is working his 12-month notice having handed in his resignation.

And 37-year-old Gattuso, who spent a season with Rangers as a player, this month applied unsuccessfully for the vacancy at Hamilton Academical.

"My dream is to maybe one day to have the chance to work for this club," he said after attending a tribute match for former defender Fernando Ricksen.

"I played today, but manager is a different job. I am sure 100% that this is a big club."

Gattuso did not wish to comment on his application to manage Accies after Alex Neil's switch to Norwich City.

Hamilton last week appointed former captain Martin Canning as player-manager and insisted that they had already decided they wanted the defender to succeed Neil before they received expressions of interest from the Italian among others.

After yesterdays game I would love this to happen! even in a charity game he had more fight in his little toe than our team all season!!! he would shake the team up and get the journey men working for their over inflated wage packet........

Didn't work for Roy Keane.

Just because HE shows passion doesn't mean he would be able to get players to show it. In fact, there is just as much chance that his passion would lose him the dressing room - he is from a different breed of player and if the players he manages don't operate the same way them the split between management and dressing room would be seismic.

That could be true in the long term of things, however in the short term, this team need to buck up their ideas. I get sick of the likes of McCulloch and co saying "we haven't played our best, we owe the fans, we owe the manager etc. Maybe it needs someone like Gattuso with his passion & his work rate to whip this mob into some sort of shape and get things moving again!

That could be true in the long term of things, however in the short term, this team need to buck up their ideas. I get sick of the likes of McCulloch and co saying "we haven't played our best, we owe the fans, we owe the manager etc. Maybe it needs someone like Gattuso with his passion & his work rate to whip this mob into some sort of shape and get things moving again!

First of all we need someone in the dugout who genuinely wants the job.

McDowall doesn't. Let him work his notice as a coach.

[quote name=craig;544874Didn't work for Roy Keane

Just because HE shows passion doesn't mean he would be able to get players to show it. In fact' date=' there is just as much chance that his passion would lose him the dressing room - he is from a different breed of player and if the players he manages don't operate the same way them the split between management and dressing room would be seismic.[/quote]

Everyone is different , Roy Keane could nt spell manager.... so your saying the dressing room will split if someone tries to reign them in? Jig needs to be brought down a peg and he would be the man to do it... in fact he needs to be dropped! too slow but still gets paid for putting in a rubbish shift.

how do we know if we do not try?

who is the man for the job?

Five days to pumb spirit into the players and the squad. I see no-one at Ibrox able to do it now, a Gattuso-type would do it though. Whether for two weeks or five months. Change is needed for the time being, not immediately for the grand scale of things right now.

I don't know if Gattuso is the answer long term, but McDowell doesn't want to do the job.

Hopefully someone may have had a wee chat with him over the weekend, and if it seems suitable, bring him in till the end of the season, with an option for another year (14 days notice).

Everyone is different , Roy Keane could nt spell manager.... so your saying the dressing room will split if someone tries to reign them in? Jig needs to be brought down a peg and he would be the man to do it... in fact he needs to be dropped! too slow but still gets paid for putting in a rubbish shift.

how do we know if we do not try?

who is the man for the job?

1. I didn't say the dressing room would split if someone tried to reign them in. I said there is just as much chance of that happening as there is of Rino being able to galvanise them - yet the only justification I have heard for Rino to come in is because of his passion for the game.

2. You say that Roy Keane couldn't spell manager..... so, tell me, what has Rino's management career done to date to suggest that he could ? Take the blinkers off and you will see that he has been an unimitgated disaster as a manager. Sacked by Sion, sacked by Palermo and left Crete after just 6 months. So, what is it again that tells you that Rino's credentials as a manager have him outshine Roy Keane (and Keane was a terrible manager, no mistake).

3. Just how do you KNOW that Rino would "bring Jig down a peg or two" ? You don't. Fact. It wouldn't be the first or the last time that a captain wins the day over a manager. I'm not saying it would happen but there is just as much chance of it happening as there is of Rino bringing him down a peg or two.

How do we know if we don't try ? We don't. I'm not advocating against Rino at all. But all this posturing about his passion being what we are missing is completely missing the point in my opinion. The notion that his passion would somehow rub off on the players is completely unsubstantiated. The idea that the missing piece of the jigsaw is passion is an illusion - there are so many things wrong with this team - passion is something that you either have or you don't. I don't think that Rino, Keane or anyone could actually force players to play with more passion.

The suggestion of bringing Rino in as manager is more of a romantic notion than it is based on his managerial prowess. He has been a failure as a manager yet we are lauding him as the guy to solve our issues.

Would I give him a go ? Absolutely, if his wages are low enough and his notice period short enough. McDowall doesn't want the job so better Rino who knows what the Club is all about and what the fans are all about - but, for me, a short term appointment only. We complained about McCoist being given the job with no managerial credentials, yet here we are fawning over a guy who has failed at two clubs in less than two years and walked away from another.

Only in the world of Rangers fans :rolleyes:

1. Would I give him a go ? Absolutely, if his wages are low enough and his notice period short enough. McDowall doesn't want the job so better Rino who knows what the Club is all about and what the fans are all about - but, for me, a short term appointment only. We complained about McCoist being given the job with no managerial credentials, yet here we are fawning over a guy who has failed at two clubs in less than two years and walked away from another.

I wouldn't employ him, as you say his record is awful. I'd rather have someone like Jimmy Calderwood, he knows the Scottish game and has had some success. Give him the job until the end of the season on a relatively low wage.