Sunday's game the sandwich in day of sporting greatness

In days of old when football was football and only a few anoraks could tell you the names of the club board, the idea of an Old Firm game playing a supporting role in a day of sport would have the wee men in white coats heading in your direction.

However that is how I am viewing this Sunday's mouth-watering line-up, and it is a sign of how much trouble our beloved club is in that it has come to this at all. The reality of a league cup semi final against our greatest rivals at Hampden would normally have me all fired up for weeks, and I cannot remember ever going into a domestic semi-final or final without the confidence that our heroes will emerge victorious. Indeed in any other time I would be eyeing up this fixture as the first course in another possible treble, and at the very least the chance to deny that other mob their chance of a treble.

This Sunday we have the England v Australia ODI cricket final from Perth, WA, which starts in the wee small hours of Sunday morning. While England will be rightfully underdogs against the home team, this cricketing equivalent of an OF match will have plenty of spice and aggression and entertainment.

At the time where that match is reaching boiling point, we then move to Melbourne for the Australian Open tennis final between our own Andy Murray and (probably) Novak Djokovic. These two have played 4 Grand Slam finals between them, each winning two each, and this could be an absolute belter of a match and one I am looking forward to immensely. Of course if Stan Wawrinka wins the SF (at time of writing it is a close match in the 4th set) it pits the defending champion against Murray, who has reached the Oz Open on 3 previous occassions, only to come up short each time against Djokovic and Federer.

Then we have the football with our own match at 1.30, and a potentially attractive match between two good footballing sides in Southampton and Swansea at 4pm, and a double header from Spain involving Sevilla v Espanyol & a good looking clash between Barca & 6th placed Villarreal.

By the time we have all had our football fix for the day, the biggest sporting event in the USA takes over with the Superbowl, this year between the New England Patriots and the Seattle Seahawks in what promises to be a clash between the best attacking (or offense in USA lingo) team (New England) and the best defence (Seattle), with all the razzmatazz and colour this event brings.

When the Vince Lombardi trophy is handed out around 3am, it will signal the end of a near 24 hours of non-stop sporting action for tv viewers, with 3 cup finals, a semi-final, and some good league action along the way.

I for one cant wait for it all to start, and I just hope above all hope that what would, in any other era, be the main event for me at 1.30 in the south side of my home town amongst these global events attracting the best part of a billion viewers, and is on Sunday a bit part story, doesnt spoil this day of all sporting days. So come on England, Murray, Rangers for a treble that would have me positively gushing and have me remembering the 1st of February 2015 as a unique day when all that is good with the world was put right.

Thankfully I won't be watching all that with any degree of interest but I will spend an hour tomorrow trying to get a satellite dish set up for BBC Scotland on Sunday. No sorry, no sporting event will ever beat the bears for me.

I am however now enjoying the Tennis, 2-2 and into the fifth set.

I feel nothing about this game on Sunday. Totally numb about it.

I have intentions of avoiding watching it but come kick off I think I will probably fail and end up watching some or all of it.

No excitement or anticipation at all from me. It feels like an utterly meaningless game in all honesty and I am standing back in amazement about some fans and the media building it up. It has all the attributes of a boxer fighting an opponent who has their hands tied behind their back.

Not going to be pretty.

I feel nothing about this game on Sunday. Totally numb about it.

I have intentions of avoiding watching it but come kick off I think I will probably fail and end up watching some or all of it.

No excitement or anticipation at all from me. It feels like an utterly meaningless game in all honesty and I am standing back in amazement about some fans and the media building it up. It has all the attributes of a boxer fighting an opponent who has their hands tied behind their back.

Not going to be pretty.

Same for me mate. It won't be the same until we can face Celtic properly - without one hand (or both hands) tied behind our back.