Rangers' Dave King: Sandy Easdale played me but I will succeed

Exclusive interview: Ibrox director reveals why he believes he will oust the board – and why his tax evasion conviction is no barrier – as he lifts the lid on the battle for power

By Roddy Forsyth

10:33PM GMT 04 Feb 2015

The extraordinary general meeting at which Rangers’ fate will be decided for the immediate future will be held on March 6, Telegraph Sport can reveal, but although the predicted propaganda battle began on Wednesday with a bravura performance by former Ibrox director, Dave King, he is certain to meet resistance from the current boardroom regime to his takeover attempt. The Rangers plc directors must respond to King’s requisition of an EGM by close of business on Friday, but it is understood that they will not attempt to block the meeting.

King spent three hours answering questions from broadcast and written media in Glasgow yesterday – accompanied by his allies, wealthy Rangers supporters, Paul Murray and John Gilligan – and while he was insistent throughout that he is confident of success, he did accept the possibility of defeat, although he declared in such circumstances he would buy more shares and try again.

In an exclusive interview with Telegraph Sport, King admits that his £16million takeover attempt in November failed because he had been “played” by the Rangers football board chairman, Sandy Easdale, but dismisses the possibility that the South African case in which he was convicted for tax evasion prevents him from passing the “fit and proper” test for company or football directors. The full text of the interview is revealed below.

Roddy Forsyth – From your perspective, what state is the club in?

Dave King – I think everyone would accept that the club is in serious trouble for two reasons. If one looks at the football team, in terms of the ambition to get back into the Scottish Premiership, it is very obvious that the quality is not there. It’s not as if the fans can have any reasonable prospect that next year the club will be competing in the Premiership – assuming they do get there – but even more importantly, if one looks at the financial side of the club, there is just no basis to change the current status.

There are no funds, the club is in crisis and there is a board that is completely disconnected from the fan groups. The fans are still staying away from the games and unless there is a complete regime change where we are able to install a board that’s got the support of the fans and the capacity to introduce funds and get the support of investors then I just don’t see how the club can recover.

And unfortunately it’s very close to the abyss. It’s gone on for almost four years now and if it continues much longer I fear the position could be irrecoverable.

Read more:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/11391493/Rangers-Dave-King-Sandy-Easdale-played-me-but-I-will-succeed.html