He'd also been out of the sharp end of football for quite a while before he became our assistant manager and had never actually managed a team. I always think promoting the assistant in football is quite risky.

Depends on the club they will manage. Rangers is far too big a job for a first time manager. Although Smith and Souness were if I remember right.

i suspect he will find tv work readily

He might not be a tactical genius and he never seemed great in interviews (to be brutally, absolutely, completely honest), but he's certainly more articulate and got a better TV presence and character than half of the muppets employed by Sky Sports!!!

We can't afford to hire a new manager(and his staff too presumably) whilst the present incumbents still drawing their lucrative salaries whilst working their notices

We can afford a new manager as much as we can afford 5 Newcastle players. Right now we can afford NOT to have a manager. Not getting promoted will cost us more than any manager - so perhaps Ashley could have just up his loan by say 200k...

Right now, we'd be better off with getting in some manager from League 2 on 40 grand a year than what is currently happening. Would you rather have a real football manager from the lower leagues who wants to win matches, or two guys on the board who know nothing about management and whose main priority is just to make as much money as possible from the club?

The problem is not affordability, it is that the board and Ashley either have different priorities than us being promoted and their agendas and egos mean that they are incapable of running our club in a way that gives us a plausible chance.

My contempt for this board knows no bounds ....i think the SFA should step in and consider suspending our gams until it is clear we have a coach/manager thatis allowed to manage and not an training ground/ rehabilitation unit for Newcastle rejects.

A wholly absurd situation fifa/uefa should be looking into this....

Edited by BlueSolace
wrong word

Craig in answer to one of your posts where you asked who would want a job where you don't make decisions. This is for the Newcastle Job.

80 applicants seem to want the job whatever.

How many of them are out of work and looking for a salary ?

How many are applying thinking that "it cant be true that the manager isn't making the footballing decisions" ?

How many are applying thinking "I can change the mindset and make the decisions"

How likely is it that anyone stepping into such an appointment would end up being a long-term, sustainable, stable appointment ?

Answers on a post card.

However, it seems to me that it would be better for Kenny and his career, if he ignored the instructions, did his job the correct way, take the sack and get his contract paid off, or at worst gardening leave... By doing his job he won't be in breach of contract.

Or is he just hanging in there as he knows regime change is round the corner and he has a chance of being kept on?

The more I think about the latter the more it seems likely.

Any new Board would not make him a permanent appointment if they have any sanity !

He might not be a tactical genius and he never seemed great in interviews (to be brutally, absolutely, completely honest), but he's certainly more articulate and got a better TV presence and character than half of the muppets employed by Sky Sports!!!

To be fair to Ally, while I don't remember him talking too much about the overall strategy in a game, he did give a great deal of insight from a player's point of view, especially strikers, where he would talk a lot about movement and body position that no other pundit had done before.

When it comes to most of the commentary in Scotland, there seems to be no insight at all, and some of the pundits even talk in way that suggests they've never played the game - when the irony is that many are ex-internationalists.

A few of the pundits down south do actually seem to be geniuses on the game and use the technology to show you patterns and tactics you might never have otherwise noticed.

I hear what you are saying - but the likes of Carragher, Neville and even Souness would rip him a new one.