A Newcastle friend of mind told me that prior to being selected to go to Rangers the five players had to pass three criteria relating to skill, pace and strength.

The first test required each of the five players to take a corner which the first defender could not cut out. All the Newcastle players passed this test though one corner ended up near the corner flag on the other side but nevertheless he was deemed to have passed the test. As an aside when Aird attempted the same test he required four attempts for his ball to evade the first defender, though in his defense he did slightly slip in his run up to the second attempt.

The second test relating to pace required all five players to run a 100 metres in under 13 seconds. All passed this test though one was clocked at 12.9 seconds. John Daly attempted this test and it took him 52 seconds, but to be fair he did have to have a break at 50 metres to regain his breath.

The final test related to strength is known as the Virgin Von Dike-Law test in which you have to attempt to take the ball of a midfielder as he gallops up field and avoid being palmed off to a distance of less than 1.5 metres (this being the normal distance achieved by Nicky law). This test proved to be the most difficult one for the Newcastle boys as the galloping midfielder chosen was Tiote. However, all again passed this test with palm off distances ranging from 0.1 metres to 1.2metres. Therefore having passed all three tests the five Newcastle players were deemed to be at least as good as if not better than most of the current Rangers squad and were therefore duly dispatched to Ibrox.

Lurking for 2 and a half years and that's your first post? :D

A Newcastle friend of mind told me that prior to being selected to go to Rangers the five players had to pass three criteria relating to skill, pace and strength.

The first test required each of the five players to take a corner which the first defender could not cut out. All the Newcastle players passed this test though one corner ended up near the corner flag on the other side but nevertheless he was deemed to have passed the test. As an aside when Aird attempted the same test he required four attempts for his ball to evade the first defender, though in his defense he did slightly slip in his run up to the second attempt.

The second test relating to pace required all five players to run a 100 metres in under 13 seconds. All passed this test though one was clocked at 12.9 seconds. John Daly attempted this test and it took him 52 seconds, but to be fair he did have to have a break at 50 metres to regain his breath.

The final test related to strength is known as the Virgin Von Dike-Law test in which you have to attempt to take the ball of a midfielder as he gallops up field and avoid being palmed off to a distance of less than 1.5 metres (this being the normal distance achieved by Nicky law). This test proved to be the most difficult one for the Newcastle boys as the galloping midfielder chosen was Tiote. However, all again passed this test with palm off distances ranging from 0.1 metres to 1.2metres. Therefore having passed all three tests the five Newcastle players were deemed to be at least as good as if not better than most of the current Rangers squad and were therefore duly dispatched to Ibrox.

They were chosen because they were surplus to requirements.

No need for tests.

made me laugh. well done mate.

literally no way it will be factual.

History suggests that when some one tells you "to be honest" or "the fact is" it is almost invariably the opposite.

So expect the statement to be like a chocolate fireguard and as fictional as you could possibly imagine.

He must have been practising then.....I cannae mind him hitting 1 in 4 crosses past ANY opposing player from ANYWHERE on the pitch!!!

I have no idea how true this is but someone on another site said that he had Shackleton on the phone yesterday and he said the EGM date would be distributed on Friday. Everyone seemed to accept the guy was telling the truth. whether Shackleton was is another story.

He should play some of the U20s team first.

LOL, sorry but hahaha

laugh.gif

if he and ally haven't done it for the past couple of years, then what makes you think they're going to start now

Edited by buba3d

Rangers board not picking the team, says chief executive

Rangers chief executive Derek Llambias insists manager Kenny McDowall is wrong to say he has been instructed to pick five loan signings made from Newcastle.

McDowall claimed Llambias and chairman Sandy Easdale told him the quintet - whose parent club are owned by Ibrox shareholder Mike Ashley - must play.

But Llambias said: "There's no way the board is picking the team.

"In any loan the players bolster the side and give the squad more depth. That's exactly what is happening here."

Midfielders Gael Bigirimana and Haris Vuckic and defenders Kevin Mbabu, Remie Streete and Shane Ferguson joined from the English Premier League side on Monday.

Llambias, who was previously chief executive at Newcastle, is one of two Ashley associates on the Rangers board, alongside finance director Barry Leach.

Interim manager McDowall, who took over from Ally McCoist when he was placed on gardening leave on 19 January, recently handed in his notice to resign.

He is now working a 12-month notice period.

"I have handed in my notice and have told the guys I am happy to take the team. So I am not going to complain," McDowall said at a Thursday morning media conference.

Background

What does Mike Ashley's £10m loan mean for Rangers?

"I will carry out the instructions that they give me and do my best. I have a job to do and I am happy to do it.

"The boys have come up to play and they will play. That's just how it is."

Ashley's Sports Direct, who own 8.92% of the Ibrox outfit, agreed to provide a £10m loan in January to ensure the Scottish Championship club stays in business.

While £5m has been drawn as immediate working capital, the influx of cash was also used to repay a £3m loan made by the retail company last year.

In return, Sports Direct got security over the Scottish Championship club's Murray Park training ground, registered trademarks and other properties.

Rangers also gave them, for the duration of the loan, a further 26% of shares in Rangers Retail Limited, 49% of which was already owned by Sports Direct

Edited by BEARGER