What's the story with your Avira, or in other words what all is Avira doing? Live anti-virus plus firewall all built into one or do you have a separate firewall?

I'm only asking because you should probably try eliminating different possibilities one-by-one. I said previously that a Chrome update could have caused a conflict with Avira, but if you're still having problems when using Firefox, then it's possible that a Windows update has been the initial trigger.

Either way, I'd probably try uninstalling Avira just to see what happens.

Well, its certainly not perfect, pages are loading slow. But its better than them not loading at all. You may be on to something with a firewall problem. I uninstalled Avira and installed Norton (actually forgot I had a subscription with them still running) and it seems to have helped.

I orginally stopped using Norton because of its bloating. I had nothing installed for an hour or two last night, it bizarrely made a difference installing Norton. Never had a problem like this before, usually fairly good in diagnostic but this one has me stumped. Its generally late afternoon/early evening when the problem is at its worst so Ill see what its like then tonight.

It might even be an issue with your ISP mate, so you should check your speeds.

This site here has a very reliable broadband speed test which is used and recommended by broadband tech support staff - http://www.speedtest.net/

Careful though! You want to press the green 'BEGIN TEST' button, not the blue 'START NOW' button!!

I've just ran it 3 times and it's giving me almost exactly the same results each time, with virtually no variation, which is good. I'm getting 17ms ping & a download speed of between 62 & 63 Mbps which is about right for our Virgin Media package.

What you're really looking for at your end, is whether or not the speed test results show that your broadband is running slower than what your ISP package is supposed to be giving you and if it is, then exactly how much slower.

Oh i've used speedtest many's a time, much to my depression of being in a non fiber optic area lol. Sometimes its lower but for the most part around 5mb's, which is pretty much what I should have. At the moment its not consistent when I run it because the internet on this laptop is up and down, on other devices in the house its more consistent. Thats why im thinking you're right about it being an antivirus/firewall issue on the computer, rather than ISP issue.

Have you tried connecting your laptop to one of the LAN ports on your router using an Ethernet cable?

The main reason to try this is that if you connect using an Ethernet cable and are still experiencing the same problems, then it pretty much rules out there being some kind of issue with your laptop's wireless connection and would suggest that the issue is almost certainly a software problem.

Have you tried connecting your laptop to one of the LAN ports on your router using an Ethernet cable?

The main reason to try this is that if you connect using an Ethernet cable and are still experiencing the same problems, then it pretty much rules out there being some kind of issue with your laptop's wireless connection and would suggest that the issue is almost certainly a software problem.

I thought of this last night and then obviously slipped my mind. Ill give that a go if/when the issue pops up today. Cheers for the suggestion bud.