Fans Board Statement re Llambias intention to disband it.

It challenges lambias notion that he can just disband it

They don't need to co-opt someone to do that. they can just continue to issue statements as appropriate,

and they are a couple of members down.

What does that matter if they aren't going to be meeting with the directors any time soon? I'm sure that those that are left are capable of dealing with issues as they arise. They can then revisit the matter post-EGM with however is in control at that point.

Although I'm unsure that the co-option was completely necessary it does make a few reasonable points:

1. It neatly fills one of the two places that have been made available.

2. It shows the RFB won't buckle under thread of disband (although, like the Assembly, I'm not sure how they can move on independently without their 'official' USP).

3. The addition of someone credible who has previously worked for the club and is now critical of the regime maintains (and adds to) the pressure on the board.

We didn't break any rules over online minutes of incendiary Llambias meeting, say Rangers Fan Board

THE Rangers Fans Board today denied they broke club rules by publishing the incendiary minutes of their meeting with Ibrox directors this week.

Thursday 19/02/2015

0 Comments

Print

Members of the under-fire Gers board were unhappy when a record of their talks with supporters was posted online on Monday night.

The detailed account of the gathering showed that Light Blues chief executive Derek Llambias had branded the behaviour of shareholders at the AGM "a disgrace".

The club released a statement that read: "These minutes have not been seen or approved by the Rangers board. We are very disappointed by the behaviour of the existing fans' board."

Dr Zia Islam, who represents ethnic minorities on the fans board, later predicted the body would be dissolved and its members sacked as a result.

But one member of the fans board, who did not want to be named, told SportTimes they had followed the normal procedure.

The source said: "I wasn't aware that (getting the board's approval) was the protocol for publishing the minutes.

"As far as I understood it in the past, the minutes were sent to Rangers at the same time as they were posted on Facebook."

The Rangers Fans Board member expressed sadness that the group, which was set up last year after the Ready to Listen survey, could be disbanded already.

And the source warned the club they need to engage with their customers if they hope to bring an end to the off-field unrest and move forward.

The board member said: "Nothing has happened since the minutes went online. We are a bit surprised we haven't heard anything from Rangers.

"I wouldn't say the relationship between the fans board and the club has been strained, but it has been difficult in terms of communication and getting answers to questions.

"You have got to reflect and remember the fans' board was set up under former chief executive Graham Wallace. The current board inherited us.

"But we have all given up a lot of time and effort to support our football club and ask questions the fans want to ask.

"We put ourselves forward because we're Rangers supporters and we wanted to do something to help the club. We weren't in it for any personal glory.

"How is the club going to move on if it doesn't work closely with the fans? That is a question the club has to ask itself. I think communicating with the fan base is absolutely vital to whoever is in charge."

Directors James Easdale and Barry Leach, chief executive Llambias and chairman David Somers face being ousted at the EGM at Ibrox early next month.

And fan ownership group Rangers First has revealed its members, who number nearly 11,000 will vote overwhelmingly to boot the quartet out.

They are also emphatically in favour of installing major shareholder Dave King, former director Paul Murray and John Gilligan onto the board.

The club announced the general meeting will be held at Ibrox on a date that has still to be confirmed - but that looks likely to be Thursday, March 5.

I don't think that's the best of ideas:

1. At the moment you're a group who have been elected by the fans. You now have a non-elected person and that severely dilutes the message.

Understand why you may think that but I respectully disagree.

2. You have co-opted the person who picked all of you for your short -lists. It can open up the idea of collusion and back-scratching.

Whilst he headed the Nominations Committee I wouldn't go as far as say he actually picked us.

3. Co-opting a person on the day that they appear in the press criticising the board suggests that you have an agenda, rather than a group of people who have reached your own independent opinion on the board.

Whilst it may have that appearance we had previously tried to co-opt Stuart onto the RFB but were prevented from doing so.

4. You were a group of fans who were boldly standing up against the board against the odds. This makes it seem that you have a greater degree of independence and therefore lessens the message again.

I don't think that's the case, Llambias's statement of intent to disband us reinforces the independence argument.

I think the co-opting wasn't required, particularly at this point. Surely he could give advice from the background if that's what you wanted? I don't see any positives in this.

Again I can see your point but have to respectfully disagree.

Whilst he headed the Nominations Committee I wouldn't go as far as say he actually picked us.

OK but he certainly had a major influence on it. :) Doesn't take away from my point.

It's tarring anyone who is going to perform the task in the future as well. When you're up for re-election this year, who is going to be on the Nominations Committee and will they then be accused of doing it just to get co-opted? The nominations committee should continue to be independent of the RFB.

I'm obviously not suggesting that there is anything underhand but it's leaving it open to others to do so.

FS could the RFB hold a question and answer with the king group?

Four of us myself included met with Paul Murray and John Gilligan the same day the other fans groups did. All groups met them separately.

The meeting was productive they put forward their plans and were open and forthright with us.

OK but he certainly had a major influence on it. :) Doesn't take away from my point.

It's tarring anyone who is going to perform the task in the future as well. When you're up for re-election this year, who is going to be on the Nominations Committee and will they then be accused of doing it just to get co-opted? The nominations committee should continue to be independent of the RFB.

I'm obviously not suggesting that there is anything underhand but it's leaving it open to others to do so.

I honestly don't think that will be a problem as I don't foresee any new regime using the current RFB model as their chosen option for fan engagement especially given the upsurge in support for both the RST and RF etc.