EGM Result: King resolutions pass with 85% of vote

Rangers: Dave King 'good for Celtic and Scottish football'

Former Rangers chairman Alastair Johnston thinks Celtic will welcome the Dave King-led takeover at Ibrox as it will be good for Scottish football.

King's consortium has promised substantial investment after winning a shareholder vote to oust the board.

Johnston has had conversations with major Celtic financier Dermot Desmond.

"I think this will help Celtic," Johnston told BBC Scotland. "It gets competition back in there and that's what's good for Scottish football."

Celtic have monopolised the Scottish title while Glasgow rivals Rangers have won two consecutive promotions after financial problems led to them playing in Scotland's bottom tier.

Boardroom problems have continued at Rangers, who presently lie third in the Scottish Championship, with the prospect of missing out on playing in the top flight next season.

"Once the club recovers, which it will do, it is not only great for Rangers Football Club," said Johnston.

"I've talked a lot to Dermot Desmond over the years and, without breaching any discussions, it's not been in Celtic's best interests from a business standpoint and their ability to invest.

"I think that, deep down, Dermot will be very happy today. I am not speaking for him. That's my opinion."

King has delayed becoming chairman, a position Johnston believes "he has long aspired to", because he faces a "fit-and-proper person test" by the Scottish FA as well as Stock Exchange regulators.

However, Johnston does not think King's convictions for contravening South African tax laws should prevent him becoming chairman.

"There's plenty of precedents where people with Dave King's convictions have passed fit-and-proper tests," he said.

Johnston also believes King's involvement on the board as Craig Whyte's regime suffered insolvency would not bar him from the chairmanship.

The former chairman said he personally had "voluminous correspondence" to support King's argument that he was not supportive of Whyte.

Johnston was pleased that King and his allies had "tempered the expectations of the fans".

"I think that's important because it's not going to be a fast turnaround," he said.

"Once the dust is settled and we're back on track, it will be an amazingly heartening story about how this developed from the ashes and shambles of the last three or four years into something that really will make Rangers what it really is.

"It is an institution and a community club. It is going to be a team of the people, by the people for the people."

Craig Houston, of the Sons of Struth supporters group, also backed King's group.

"He had a tax case in South Africa - that's passed and he has paid an amount of money to the tax authorities there and he's more than welcome in South Africa to conduct business and be a shareholder and on the board of directors of companies," he said.

"So I can only use the logic that, if the country where he had the tax issues in are happy for him to continue there, I don't see why Scottish football shouldn't.

"I've had the fortunate experience of meeting him and talking to him personally and I've looked him straight in the face and I'm happy with what he's saying.

"We will always keep an eye on what is happening at our club - it will never happen again that we take the eye off the ball - but with the guys we have in control now, I'm sure we'll have a positive future."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31775467

I'm not sure whether it would be a good idea to have King as chairman. Not least when he stated (yesterday) that he is not going to resettle to Scotland. Despite modern day communication, a more present chairman should be the order of the day, IMHO. Unless, of course, we get a sound and able CEO.

Edited by der Berliner

how does everyone see the timeline going?

all that everyone seems to say is it will take time, not sure what is meant by that. Fair enough to get everything sorted will take some time but in the short term on what and when do you expect to see movement?

how does everyone see the timeline going?

all that everyone seems to say is it will take time, not sure what is meant by that. Fair enough to get everything sorted will take some time but in the short term on what and when do you expect to see movement?

Movement in terms of us getting back to winning ways in the SPFL?

I dont think 3-5 years is unrealistic if we get the right Manager and coaching staff in. tic are not that great a team these days, the rest of the pack chasing them closely shows that.

Movement in terms of ridding the club of MA & co's ripping out our soul, couldnt possibly guess.

Movement in terms of us getting back to winning ways in the SPFL?

I dont think 3-5 years is unrealistic if we get the right Manager and coaching staff in. tic are not that great a team these days, the rest of the pack chasing them closely shows that.

Movement in terms of ridding the club of MA & co's ripping out our soul, couldnt possibly guess.

meaning more in the next weeks and months. When do you think we will hear about movement on scouting, renovations, managers, budgets etc

meaning more in the next weeks and months. When do you think we will hear about movement on scouting, renovations, managers, budgets etc

They definitely mentioned the importance of a scouting network being established during interviews yesterday so I would think that would be high on the list of priorities with a manager coming in.

Renovations I have no idea.

Manager, got the impression yesterday we wouldnt be seeing a change until the end of the season.

Budgets, I would expect that to take a bit of time. With them having to pour through the books at the financial mess the club is in, players contracts expiring at the end of the season and having to judge a budget on what league we will be in next season, its not an easy thing to talk about.

One thing I will say is that, bar the manager thing, I couldnt be happier with everything that the three of them said yesterday, and think we will get alot of honest answers out of them with regards to all the questions fans have about taking the club forward in the near future.

They definitely mentioned the importance of a scouting network being established during interviews yesterday so I would think that would be high on the list of priorities with a manager coming in.

Renovations I have no idea.

Manager, got the impression yesterday we wouldnt be seeing a change until the end of the season.

Budgets, I would expect that to take a bit of time. With them having to pour through the books at the financial mess the club is in, players contracts expiring at the end of the season and having to judge a budget on what league we will be in next season, its not an easy thing to talk about.

One thing I will say is that, bar the manager thing, I couldnt be happier with everything that the three of them said yesterday, and think we will get alot of honest answers out of them with regards to all the questions fans have about taking the club forward in the near future.

yeah I am pretty much the same. was really impressed with king and how he answers the questions put to him. He never seems rattled or fumbling for answers, always precise and to the point.Refreshing that the old political talk seemed to take a back seat minus the praise for the DR.

Only disappointment is not pushing all guns blazing for promotion this season. I like a leader that doesn't shy from the challenges, in the end it is doing the impossible that makes or breaks legacies. Would have set a good precedent if they had hit the ground running on that front, do understand their thinking though. Would have been nice to hear a rallying cry to players,fans and staff alike.

There's a difficulty with that in terms of taking work away from folk who need to earn a living but if a call went out for a fan's work day or series of work days on Sundays say, I think that would be a great idea. It would need careful planning and there is Health and Safety issue as well but I think it is do-able.

Most tradesmen and even some labourers are self employed and have their own public liability insurance so it really shouldn't be a problem and could be easily coordinated via the fans groups.

Edited by ian1964