Anyone read the Rangers ICF book? If so, what are your impressions?

Just finished it and have to say it is one of the better 'casual' books. They admit to getting a few beatings and their claims that they were, and still are Scotland's best firm are backed with accounts from boys from Hearts, Chelsea and a few other firms.

Cammy F

Who wrote it Cammy and is it new??

I want to read it but ive no chance in getting a copy out here so il see if someone at home can send it to me.

How does it compare with the West Ham book by Cass Pennent (sp)??

Written by Davie Carrick with Martin King but with additions for Chelsea, Hearts and a few other firms lads as well as some other members of the ICF.

Not as 'professional' as say the ICF and Soul Crew books, but brutelly (sp) honest, fair and rip ASC and Craptics mob to pieces.

They mention a few rumbles that I actually witnessed where the ICF came to the rescue of 'normal' Rangers fans. Once at Parkhead and once in Paris. The game at Parkhead was when they were redveloping and we had a tiny wee corner and had to walk thro them to get in. They were taking huge liberties and were attacking all Rangers fans. The ICF piled in from Duke Street about 300 strong and along with a few 'normal' fans split the Craptic ranks (of over 1000) and gave them a good slapping. Same in Paris and if the book is to believed, they are the only firm to take PSG in Paris....

If you can PM me, I'll send my copy over once a few other guys have had a read of it - of if someone else get get a copy over to you first - feel free!!!

Cammy F

Ok I see where you guys are coming from and I dont condone violence at all but I think the 2 issues are different.

The days of firms getting it on are well gone compared to the 70s and 80s where it was an organised thing with innocent ones not really getting hurt. Some of the stuff I read in West Hams ICF book was scary and i didnt agree with a lot of things, but Im sure Cammy will agree that this stuff has an interest to it.

This latest antics in Italy are a disgrace and nothing but cowardly violence for the reason of being local rivals.

Putting all our personal feelings aside, their is no denying that these guys were and still are a part of our support. They have and still do, follow Rangers everywhere and they won't go away by simply 'ignoring them'.

Violence has been apart of football from its conception, in fact, IIRC (not that I was actually there!) the 1908 (I think) cup final was abandoned due to a riot.

There are stories of Morton fans who worked in the Clyde ship building taking buckets of piping hot rivets with them to games to throw at rival fans.

Most supporters clubs in the 60's would go to the football 'suited and booted' and that wasn't in order to 'look good'.

The 70's saw the birth of the Skinheads and Punks and most / every team in the land had a 'firm' that would cause havoc everywhere they went. In fact, it was our 'firms' of that time that spawned the Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hibs casuals as they were pissed off with our 'mobs' turning up, over-running their cities and 'taking liberties'.

Violence is still alive and kicking in football as the murder of an innocent Policeman in Italy goes to prove.

I don't think anyone was condoning the ICF and their activities, just saying that like all 'groups of fans' they have a story to tell and believe me, it makes interesting reading.

I have just bought and started reading 'Top Boys' by Cass Pennent and Rangers ICF are featured heavily in this book. Most English firms represented in the book claim that Rangers ICF are one of the top 5 firms of all time and have huge respect within the scene. BTW, most of them mentioned (like WBA, Man City, Leicster (sp) etc) can't stand Craptic!

For this long in the tooth Bear, these books are a good read as I have witnessed the coming and going of not just casuals, but Skins, Punks etc at the football.

Oh and they also confirm that the commonly held believe that casuals are on the way out is wrong - they are back and in all honesty, haven't been away.

Cammy F

I know what you are saying Cammy but by recognising the Rangers ICF as "one of the top 5 firms" is giving them credit for being a bad elemen of our support.

Heaping praise on a group of people by saying they are one of the best is also hardly going to assist in eradicating them, and violence in general, from our game.

Nobody said ignore them Cammy...

OK they are Rangers supporters, but to the run of the mill human being they do not in any way deserve praise.

There has always been an element of thuggery and violence (tribalism) in all sports, but in the name of your team to go out and stab, slash, maim or even murder someone who is merely wearing there teams colours (and is no part of any other casual orginisation) is frankly inhumane.

By all means meet up at the park before the game and fuck each other up in a royal way, but do not bring your nonsense to the ground of the team you support.