Stuart McCall officially confirmed as new Rangers manager

I would imagine he is in the running for it full time if he does well, but anything would be an improvement on what we have seen recently but its an appointment that had to be put in place. As someone said I hope he can make his own decisions and that's the end of McCulloch as a centre half.

Still not confirmed on Rangers' site but if true it's the best possible short term news.

McCall is a winner and motivator and Kenny Black has a reasonable record as a coach.

Pity it isn't Eric Black.

Bloody hell, shows my observational skills, i've gone all evening thinking it was Eric Black! hah :facepalm:

Ach well, im still happy that its two fresh prespectives coming in.

I wish him well if confirmed.

I also fear if we win promotion, the new broom, best people approach will be thrown out for the old ex-Rangers ways.

I hope if confirmed, the Club Statement on the appointment will clarify what happens after this season.

Still no confirmation yet, doesn't look good for McCall accepting IMO. I can understand why, as he is on a hiding to nothing if he is only going to be there until the end of the season. If he turns things around and gets us up, it is only what should have happened with our squad anyway. If he fails, another bad mark on his CV.

It is also a lot more difficult to come in and motivate players, most of whom are out of contract in 2 months, when the same players know that the new manager is only going to be there the same length of time as them. If it was a permanent appointment, players all of a sudden are bursting to play to earn a new deal, and to get themselves into the team as a permanent fixture. It becomes all that much easier.

It is pretty much like when we appointed Alex McLeish IMO. The fans, who had just lived through the Advocaat era, wanted another big name to fix the broken dressing room that evolved through the Dutch clique, and most were greatly disappointed by McLeish's appointment, given his achievements to date with Motherwell & Hibs were not exactly earth-shattering but were decent and positive efforts, a bit like McCall in fact.

Given we will not have bucket loads of cash to spend and need an experienced manager who also knows about the expectation levels at our club, the "permanent" appointment of a Stuart McCall would be an understandable move at this time. With managerial appointments only lasting a couple of years nowadays anyway, it is then up to McCall to rebuild and earn himself a new deal past an initial 2.5 year deal which would take him to the end of 16-17.

Talk of a root and branch change of all things football at our club would be welcome but time waits for no man and we just do not have the time to get this done at this time.

I said yesterday I'd be surprised if McCall accepted a short term contract (without certain stipulations such as extension if we're promoted). That stands.

While I wouldn't be against his appointment until the end of the season, I don't want him for longer. On the face of it, McCall did a good job at Motherwell but many 'Well fans weren't completely convinced and some say he (and the lass Dempster) left the squad/club in a mess because of their short term outlook.

Just goes to show how difficult a decision this is.

I said yesterday I'd be surprised if McCall accepted a short term contract (without certain stipulations such as extension if we're promoted). That stands.

While I wouldn't be against his appointment until the end of the season, I don't want him for longer. On the face of it, McCall did a good job at Motherwell but many 'Well fans weren't completely convinced and some say he (and the lass Dempster) left the squad/club in a mess because of their short term outlook.

Just goes to show how difficult a decision this is.

wasn't that more down to motherwell as whole continuously slashing the budget to the point McCall couldn't do anything to stop the rot?

wasn't that more down to motherwell as whole continuously slashing the budget to the point McCall couldn't do anything to stop the rot?

Yes, which is why I mentioned Dempster as well but I have a mate who is a 'Well fan and he holds McCall responsible for some issues. Many share that POV on their forums apparently.

Like I say, as a short term thing it may work but I'm not convinced he'd sign up for that without assurances.