Charles Green: I’ll be back

Charles Green last night put the boot into Rangers’ new regime by claiming Mike Ashley was still the club’s main money man — and they were using his cash to make their coffee.

Green, 61, insisted the Sports Direct tycoon’s £10million emergency loan was keeping the club alive.

And aiming a jibe at Dave King and his board — who won a landslide victory for control of the club earlier this month — he insisted: “Mike Ashley hasn’t gone away.

“The reality is that today Rangers are making a cup of coffee using Ashley’s money.

“He’s put a loan in there and as far as I’m aware — and I do apologise if things have changed in the last couple of days — but the money they are spending today, the wages they paid yesterday, they used Ashley’s money to pay that.”

The Yorkshireman — sacked as chief executive in April 2013 — was speaking for the first time since South Africa-based King swept into power earlier this month.

King appointed Paul Murray as interim chairman and turfed billionaire Ashley’s allies Derek Llambias and Barry Leach off the board.

But Green claims if King and Murray do have the funds they should pay back Ashley or accept his choices into the boardroom — which he said was part of the Newcastle owner’s loan deal.

And Green hints he could be a shock contender for one of the slots.

He said: “Of course, if Paul Murray and Dave King have really got cash, I suspect this week they’ll pay Ashley his money back and then put their money in instead to replace it.

“If not, I suspect on Monday, they’ll be inviting Ashley to appoint two new directors. For me, he has to have two on the board because you can’t have people, like Sandy Easdale and him say, with 34 per cent of shares sat on the outside.

“Whether you listen to them when they’re in or whether you ignore them, that’s a different matter. But what you can’t do is run a club without representation from over a third of your shareholders.

"Let’s be really clear about this, if Mike Ashley really wants to get back in Rangers, the whole of Scotland will die before you can starve him out. He’s a billionaire, the 15th richest man in Europe. You can’t starve him out.

“If you’ve seen him on TV he’s a big guy. He don’t look as if he’s starving to me.”

He added: “My understanding is that Ashley’s loan requires that he has two people on the board.

“Well, I’m happy to go back and represent Ashley. I can imagine that being fun, can’t you?”

Green also questioned whether King and Murray will be given the green light by footie chiefs to work at the helm of the new-look board because of their previous associations with the club.

King was a director when Gers crashed into administration in February 2012 under shamed owner Craig Whyte before the company was liquidated eight months later.

And Murray served on the board under ex-owner Sir David Murray — until he was ousted just weeks after Whyte’s £1 takeover.

He claimed: “Is this still the same Paul Murray who sat there when Craig Whyte sat there and ran the club into the ground?”

France-based Green said he remains gutted he never got a chance to see through his vision for the crisis- hit club.

But he admits he was never fully accepted by some Gers supporters because he wasn’t born a Bluenose.

And he claims he would have prevented the club from getting into deeper financial trouble if he’d been allowed to carry on.

He said: “I’ve always believed there is a huge faction of Rangers fans that think that unless you were born within spitting distance of the Clyde, you can’t really be a Rangers man.

"I disagree with that. Over the period I was there I developed a great affinity towards the club.

“Just because you’re a Rangers fanatic doesn’t mean you’ll always make the best decisions. Roman Abramovich had no connections with Chelsea. Sheikh Mansour’s the same at Manchester City.

“I’m happy to stand anywhere with anyone and defend what I did for that club.

“And all I ever did was based on what was right and wrong for Rangers.” He added: “The history is why I bought Rangers — but you can’t take the club forward on history.

"The average annualised wage bill when I left was close to £4million but within six months it was over £10million for no reason.

“People haven’t learned any lessons from what got Rangers into all this bother in the first place.

“I was on the Tube last year and four big guys in suits stood round me and said ‘Mr Green, how are you?’.

“I said ‘I’m sorry, you must have mistaken me for someone else’ and this guy laughing said ‘No, Charlie boy, it’s you. How you doing?’.

"He went on to tell me ‘you shouldn’t have left, you should be back’ and I said ‘If I came back tomorrow all the season tickets you’ve just bought would be withdrawn because it’s a disgrace that their price has not been increased’.

“I told those guys ‘I’d have increased the prices so that’s why you don’t want me back’ and one said, ‘No, that’s exactly why we want you back because you’re a b*****d, but we know you are’.”

Green told how during his early days at Rangers he once laid a bet with fans unhappy with his running of the club.

He says they confronted him after ex-player John Brown suggested his consortium didn’t own Ibrox.

He recalled: “At the start when Brown was causing bother I was confronted by three or four young fans.

“They were screaming, ‘Will we play at Ibrox?’ “I said, ‘I’ll bet you £20 we play here this year.’

“One guy said, ‘We don’t have £20.’ So I gave them 20 quid and said, ‘Keep this — if we’re not playing here, you’ve won the bet.’

“Before our first game at Ibrox they turned up to give me £20 but I said, ‘Have a beer on me.’

“That showed me how honest Rangers fans are — and how much it meant to them that we delivered what we’d promised.”

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1slb510

Although the title is misleading (fancy that eh?!) in that it doesnt say Ashley has actually asked him, Mr Green is mad.

Is he still in his hospital bed? The man needs to lay off the meds, stop rambling on and jog on.

Edited by Laudbertz