Poll for the Date of the 3rd Semi-Annual Gersnet Dinner

What date do you prefer for the 3rd Gersnet Dinner  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What date do you prefer for the 3rd Gersnet Dinner

• 25th of April
    • 16th of May
    • 23rd of May

It has now been decided, by the narrowest of margins, to hold the 3rd Semi-Annual Gersnet Dinner at the Indian Brasserie Restaurant, 560 Paisley Road West, Glasgow G51 1RF (just round the corner from Copland Rd).

Up until now we have only considered the 16th or 23rd of May, as I intimated that would be out of the country and unable to organise anything for the 25th of April and no one else stepped up to the plate in terms of organising a dinner on the 25th of April.

However, due to a change in personal circumstances, I could now arrange something for the 25th of April.

The restaurant are unconcerned about the dates.

So we have three options:

The 25th of April is the date of our last home league game v Falkirk which is scheduled for a 3.00pm KO. Given that the TV fixtures have already been announced, it seems highly unlikely that this time and date would be changed at this late date. On the other hand it is only 3 weeks away so some may find it difficult to make arrangements to attend at relatively short notice, especially those travelling from England. Perhaps more importantly, I believe that a significant factor in the result of the poll for venue was that The Indian Restaurant agreeed to close the restaurant for us (subect to a minimum of 20 persons), which would facilitate a speaker, but my mystery guest cannot now attend on that date.

The 16th of May, would be our home game in the Premiership play-off semi-final, 1st leg if we finish 3rd or 4th in the League and win the Quarter Final.

The 23rd of May would be our home game in the Premiership play-off semi-final, 2nd leg, if we finish 2nd in the League.

As things stand tonight, I would think we must now be favourites to finish second, since this only requires 4 wins and a draw, even if Hibs, who have now lost 3 out of there last 4 games and have to go to Tynecatle before we go there on the last day, win all their games. There is every chance we will have secured the second spot before we go to Tynecatle and even if not, on today's performance, with the chips down, I think we would have a good chance of winning again. If Hibs lose to Hearts, then we would only need 10 points from 6 games. A few weeks ago we might not have bet on that; but now I suspect most would not bet against it.

Rightly or wrongly I have discounted the 9th of May, which would only be our last home game in the Premiership play-off quarter-final, 1st leg, if we finished fourth and lost the Quarter Final.

If we go for the 16th of May and we finish second in the league, then we would be away on that date; and if we finish 3rd or 4th in the League and lose the Quarter Final we would have no game. In the former scenario we would either have to postpone the dinner to the 23rd or find a venue wherever we were playing, most likely Edinburgh.

If we go for the 23rd of May and finish 3rd or 4th in the League and win the Quarter Final, then we will be away on that date; and if we finish 3rd or 4th in the League and lose the Quarter Final we would have no game. In the former scenario we would either have to postpone the dinner or find a venue wherever we were playing, most likley Edinburgh.

There is also the possibility that the Saturday games on the 16th or the 23rd of May could be moved to Sunday and the kick off time may well not be 3.00pm, in any event.

If it turns out that we have arranged the dinner for a date when we have no game then we could just go ahead regardless, though some may not wish to travel just for that purpose.

As I said before this is not easy.

Please vote in the poll asap. I'll leave it up till Wednesday night unless there is an obvious winner.

Edited by BrahimHemdani
typo

I think the 25th might be best as the date/KO looks to be definite which may be better for everyone's arrangements - despite the relative short notice. 23rd May is no good for me.

Edited by Frankie

No, I think I mean the 25th may/might be the best date... :whistle:

The 25th of April is the one date that is pretty certain, the 23rd of May is the probable date of the home Semi if we finish second in the league, there is no game scheduled on the 25th of May, which is a Bank Holiday Monday.

(Can't get the smillies to work just now!)

Edited by BrahimHemdani
25th of April!

The 23rd of April is the one date that is pretty certain, the 23rd of May is the probable date of the home Semi if we finish second in the league, there is no game scheduled on the 25th of May, which is a Bank Holiday Monday.

(Can't get the smillies to work just now!)

I'm not suggesting the event should be on the 25th of May. I just obviously used a poor choice of words to say the 25th of April may be the best day.

I've now changed may (not May) to might to avoid further confusion. :D :D

One suggestion that may be worth exploring if we can't find an agreeable date is having the meal on the day of a Founders Tour.

To my shame, I've still not been able to attend one of these so would love to do so in the presence of other Gersnet bears. Given some of these take place on Saturdays outwith match-days then that be be an option for the future.

One suggestion that may be worth exploring if we can't find an agreeable date is having the meal on the day of a Founders Tour.

To my shame, I've still not been able to attend one of these so would love to do so in the presence of other Gersnet bears. Given some of these take place on Saturdays outwith match-days then that be be an option for the future.

It's a fantastic day out and something that should be considered , I would certainly be up for doing it again